Should my Severe Disablement award have been removed? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should my Severe Disablement award have been removed?

Options
greatdanemia
greatdanemia Community member Posts: 15 Connected
Hi, been on dla since 2000 due to circulation problems and immune system damage.
Taken some horrific medication over the years....With side effects from nausea to LSD like dreams!
Now on PIP. 

Comments

• greatdanemia
    Options
    Recently awarded PIP  . Enhanced rate for mobility but only standard rate for care. Used to get incapacity but lost it when ESA came about. Never appealed it due to family health problems that ended with my beloved mothers passing. Question 1. Is it worth appealing the standard award?
    Question 2. On incapacity I used to get Severe Disablement but lost it with the arrival of ESA.  Should it have been removed ?

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @greatdanemia

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear what you've been going through, unfortunately I don't know the answers to your questions right now but other members of the community will be able to give you advice and will be in contact with you soon.

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Do you mean severe disability premium? If you qualify for this then a daily living award of PIP will qualify you and Enhanced isn't needed.

To qualify for this you need to be claiming Income Related ESA, JSA or Income Support,  live alone or classed as living alone and no one claims Carers allowance for looking after you.

Those that were claiming incapacity benefit transferred to ESA and IB no longer exists. Do you claim ESA and if you do is it Income Related or contributions based? Do you live with a partner that works?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • greatdanemia
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Have a small occupational pension so don't qualify(as far as I know) for anything else. Can't get ESA, js a. Live with partner who works full time .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,030 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2 questions here, the first being your PIP award, when was the decision made? The first step to appeal is the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) you have 28 days to request this but with good reason they will allow up to 13 months.

As you were found fit for work for ESA then the premiums for any means tested benefits don't apply to you, unfortunately. As you have a partner that works more than 24 hours per week then this means you can't claim for a means tested benefit like ESA and the disability premiums are only paid on top of Income Related ESA, JSA and Income Support.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.