Two days after pip assessment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Two days after pip assessment

Options
meema
meema Community member Posts: 24 Connected
So it's taken me 2 days to post again after a horrendous pip assesment . What gives these assessors the right to talk to other humans in the way they do . I was a nervouse  wreck for days before the the assesment and as it turned out I was right to be . 
After sitting there for nearly an hour being TOLD how I feel and what my problems were without any chance of correcting the assessor because I was cut of dead and she would move on to the next thing.  I left feeling humiliated like a little girl without a voice being sent out from a headmasters office with a severe slap on the wrist !!! 
So no I am not hopeful at all and to be honest after 6 nonths of fighting for this Benifit that I am supposed to be entitled to i dont think I have the strength or sanity left in me to fight them any longer 

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi meema
    Sorry you had an awful time.The only thing you can do now is wait and get everything together in readiness for a mandatory reconsideration if it is declined.You can request a copy of the assessors report this will tell you what was said and will give you a chance to argue your point and dispute the findings but you must be prepared to back it up with medical evidence.Also if you have any extra input from carers,even if they are family, you can also use this to help your case.Good luck 
       Debsidoo.x
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Did anyone go with you?

What did they think of assessment?
  • meema
    Options
    Thank you debs . When can you request your assessor report ? I thought they asked your consultant and GP for records and evidence . If not how do I go about getting the evidence without it costing a fortune .
  • meema
    Options
    Yes a good friend that helps me a lot came with me . She said that it was conducted very badly and she is a nurse . But she also said I handled it very well 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can ask for the report anytime after the assessment, but they will only send you a copy once both copies have been returned back to DWP. Probably better to wait a week at least before ringing.

No, they very rarely ask for evidence from anyone. It does state on the front of the forms what you should send with the form, evidence is one of them. You can ask your GP to see your medical records and have digital copies of that for free. You will then need to print what you need yourself. Letters of support from someone that knows you well to go with the medical evidence can help too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • meema
    Options
    I wouldn't mind but the assessor could see my scars on my leg and the strange shape of my leg with bits sticking out . This was caused by a fall of a ladder resulting in shattered tibia that they pinned and plated but quite a few if the fractures have not fused after a year also Broke  my knee with extensive joint damage I need a knee replacement but due to the damage in my tibia that can't be done as they drill into the tibia to fit new knee . I was told when I went to theatre that they was not sure if the leg could be saved and I am still facing the prospect of having to have it amputated above the knee 
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there. 
    That sounds horrendous treatment, I'm so sorry to read this happened to you. I am new here, and at the beginning of the journey. So it sounds like a good idea to take someone with you then, not that they can be your voice, but for moral support. 
    I think if someone spoke to me like that I would probably burst into tears, or loose it,  but clearly you coped well, under the given circumstances. Whatever the next step, I wish you well and sending strength vibes to you, sounds awful. 
    P x
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. The assessor may well have seen your leg but what they want is evidence of how that affects you and any other conditions you have. There's nothing you can do now but wait and request that report and see what it says, along with any points scored, if any. Hopefully a decision will go in your favour. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • meema
    Options
    Yes poppy if only she had given me the chance to tell her how it effects me instead of her telling me how it effects me lol . Has anyone actually succeeded first time of applying ? I have not heard of anyone on first assesment actually being successful 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Evidence, reports doctors and hospital letters, you must keep them all for future reference and to send the nessaray evidence when making a Benifit claim such as PIP or ESA. To many people receive the information then stick it on the side then bin it after a few weeks months only to realise they need it to surport their claim and have a melt down sorceing evidence which is near impossible to obtain now with the data protection act and companies and public bodies having to protect customers and indeviduals information. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes lots of people are successful first time, like i said you rarely hear the good stories. Myself and my daughter were both successful first time and we claim for completely different conditions. One has physical conditions and the other mental health.
  • meema
    Options
    Really ! First time iv spoken to someone that's managed it 1st time especially two people from same family . So was this your first claim or was  it first assesment with pip after being on DLA . Hope you don't mind me asking 
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Options
    I was successful with my first application - I didn’t send evidence, just details of my many consultants and a timeline of treatment.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    I got my PIP first time, moved from DLA, sent lots of supporting evidence and a 21 page word document, explaining how I match the descriptors.

I got 24 points for Care - Enhanced.

I got 20 points for motobility - Enhaced.

The HCP was very kind and let me explain to her in detail and she also let my wife, explain things.

She was an Occupational Therapists and as all my problems are physical, she understand them, without reservation.

Would also say, thousands upon thousands have been going through this process since 2013 and according to the DWP, it should have completed in October 2017!!

I think it is an utter disgrace how disabled people, have been treated since the introduction of PIP.

Hope this helps.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    meema said:
    So it's taken me 2 days to post again after a horrendous pip assesment . What gives these assessors the right to talk to other humans in the way they do . I was a nervouse  wreck for days before the the assesment and as it turned out I was right to be . 
    After sitting there for nearly an hour being TOLD how I feel and what my problems were without any chance of correcting the assessor because I was cut of dead and she would move on to the next thing.  I left feeling humiliated like a little girl without a voice being sent out from a headmasters office with a severe slap on the wrist !!! 
    So no I am not hopeful at all and to be honest after 6 nonths of fighting for this Benifit that I am supposed to be entitled to i dont think I have the strength or sanity left in me to fight them any longer 
    That type of assessment that you have had is extremely common. The assessor does not want to listen to anything but a simple agreement to a fact or statement that they read out. I have had all three of my assessments carried out in this way.

Some people/claimants actually have what is called an open conversation where the claimant is encouraged to talk about the difficulties they face.

You can put any amount of evidence with the claim form, my experience and others beside say that no notice is taken of it. If the assessor thinks that you can walk over 200 metres without any difficulty that's exactly what will go in your report even though there is evidence from tests and assessments carried out by OT's and consultant's that states your walking ability is a maximum of 10 metres!

Why do you think claimants give up?  
  • meema
    Options
    Believe me how I feel at the moment I don't think I can put myself through the  stress and trauma of this any more . I am at the point where I have to make a decision between dealing with the excrusiating continuous  pain or have my  leg amputated , what a choice ! Then all this on top is just far to much for me to deal with 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    meema said:
    Really ! First time iv spoken to someone that's managed it 1st time especially two people from same family . So was this your first claim or was  it first assesment with pip after being on DLA . Hope you don't mind me asking 
    I didn't transfer from DLA. It was my first PIP claim. I applied for DLA several months before PIP first came out and was refused. Never bothered to ask for the MR at the time. PIP came out and i applied and was successful but had to wait 11 months for assessment then decision. My daughter also never claimed DLA previously and this was her first PIP claim. There's many people who actually claim successfully first time.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    meema said:
    Believe me how I feel at the moment I don't think I can put myself through the  stress and trauma of this any more . I am at the point where I have to make a decision between dealing with the excrusiating continuous  pain or have my  leg amputated , what a choice ! Then all this on top is just far to much for me to deal with 
    I know how you feel, been there and felt it.
    After 3 of those types of face to face assessments with award periods never exceeding 3 years, my view was like your's - could I, did I want to go through this for the next 20 years until I get to 90, fighting every two years to get the right award? No, so I gave up earlier this year and called a halt to PIP.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.