Hiya, I am Lissy I am ESA confused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hiya, I am Lissy I am ESA confused

Options
lissy
lissy Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Thank you for allowing me access to your community. Hopefully youcan give me some advice.
I recieved two letters this morning, both exactly the same wording. Apparently they need to look at my claim in order to decide if I am eligible for income related ESA from 17th March 2015.It states that if I am eligible I may be entitled to extra payments known as premiums.
I tried to telephone the number on the letter but nobody is answering.
I dont want to get my hopes up so I wonder if anyone here might have some words of wisdom they could share
Thank you in advance

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lissy Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing. In reply to your question I am unsure of an answer. One of our team will know or a member of our community will advise.

Have you looked at the DWP website for ESA numbers might be a solution.  Who to call . Just a suggestion.

Hope that helps.  Wanting to add hope we can be supportive and friendly.

Ask the community anything.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lissy and welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. I hope you find the community a supportive place and that they are able to answer your query. Please do let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help :)
    Scope

• lissy
    Options
    Thank you Chloe will do. :)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Those that transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA were automatically placed onto Contribution based ESA and they were never assessed for any Income Related top ups which are the premiums. Whether you're entitled to them wil depend on your circumstances. Do you live with a partner that works? and household income. Do you claim DLA mid/high rate care or PIP daily living?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lissy
    Options
    Hi Poppy
    I live on my own and all I claim is ESA (not the work related) They changed me over in March 2015. I have never asked any questions but having read some posts it seems that you are allowed to enquire into the decision of the DWP.
    I guess I will just have to wait and see.
    Thanks for the info.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It was an error made by the DWP and now they owe thousands in back dated money to 1000's of people. The Enhanced disability premium is an extra £16.40 (less in earlier years) per week on top of your ESA. Claiming the Income related top up will also mean you'll be entitled to free prescriptions/dental treatment. They will back date you to when you qualified. It may take quite a few weeks to sort your claim but eventually you'll have a nice little backdated money.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lissy
    Options
    Hi Poppy
    I apologise for my late reply, its just a lot to begin to take in. I dont really want to think I might be eligible for this extra payment as It seems to be too good to be true.
    Thank you for the information, I had a telephone interview which lasted about 45 mins, I was told it will take about twelve weeks before I can expect a decision but they will let me know either way so I guess I just have to wait it out.
    Again please accept my apologies for not replying sooner I appreciate your help in this confusion.
    Best wishes
    Lissy

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.