Payment after PIP decision — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Payment after PIP decision

JazCo
JazCo Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
How long did people wait to be paid their first pip payment after they received their decision letter?

And how long did people wait for a decision after their assessment interview?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    Very often a payment goes into the bank before the decision letter is received.

Decision times vary across the country and it depends on backlog in your area. Some wait 2 weeks, while others wait 8 weeks and more. Asking for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JazCo
    JazCo Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Very often a payment goes into the8 bank before the decision letter is received.

Decision times vary across the country and it depends on backlog in your area. Some wait 2 weeks, while others wait 8 weeks and more. Asking for a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you will give you some idea what the decision will be as they mostly go with the report.
    Thank you very much!
    When and how often do you recommend calling DWP for an update after the assessment? I don't want to annoy them but it's already been 4 months since I applied and I'm dependant on the mobility element to apply for motability car as otherwise I'm stuck in almost everyday and the living element so my partner can apply for carers, so I'm pretty desperate already...
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @JazCo

We understand your frustration, but there are things you can be doing.

As @poppy123456 has already advised, you should call PIP and ask for a copy of the assessment report. Upon receipt, you will be able to estimate the points you have been awarded, by the assessor.

On the same call ask for an update on your claim, they will not be annoyed, by your enquiry, that's what the helpline is there for.

I would call them every week, until a decision has been made.

Let us know if you need any more assistance.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,939 Disability Gamechanger
    i know it's stressful waiting but there's nothing you can do until a decisions been made unfortunately. You can ring as often as you want, if a decisions been made they'll tell you, if it's not they can't tell you anything. Ring Monday to ask for a copy of the assessment report.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    JazCo said:

Thank you very much!
    When and how often do you recommend calling DWP for an update after the assessment? I don't want to annoy them but it's already been 4 months since I applied and I'm dependant on the mobility element to apply for motability car as otherwise I'm stuck in almost everyday and the living element so my partner can apply for carers, so I'm pretty desperate already...
    There's an old saying - hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

In all of my three claims/reviews I always assumed that the decision will be no PIP awarded. I then looked at my life and decided how would I cope both financially and mentally. I ended up thinking that I will not be the first nor will I be the last to get no award. All the stress and worrying in the world won't change a thing. I then re-worked our finances to take account of the loss and I was surprised how easy it was to live without PIP.
    I ended up thinking and believing that I didn't really care one way or another what happened at the face to face assessments.
    What really put me off was the continual regularity of being reassessed - every two years. I didn't want that stress of having to put up with a system that is designed to reduce most people to tears - I wanted to live for as many years as I could (I was 70 at my last and final assessment) my way.

I have had 3 Motability cars taken off me in the past 5 years. Now I haven't got a car. I have found ways around that.

Try to be positive about everything - there is always a way around any problem.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.