Current housing is not right for my daughter who is autistic, what do I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Current housing is not right for my daughter who is autistic, what do I do?

rubyroo52
rubyroo52 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
I have a daughter of 21 years old who is autistic and need help getting her individual housing.She was offered a one bedroomed flat by the council and signed the tenancy.
I have since found out that the block of flats is occupied by people with drink and drug problems and the majority of the occupants are single males over 30 years old.
If i move her in, i know she will never leave the house. I think it terrible to place a 21year old vulnerable girl in a property like this.
I phoned the council to air my concerns and let them know that i wouldn't let her live there and was told that if i gave the flat back i would make her intentionally homeless and therefore they would have no obligation to house her. 
I had initially asked if there was drug problems in the flats and was told that there had been but everybody involved was evicted.
I dont know what to do next.

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rubyroo52

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately I don't know what advice to give you but hopefully other members may be able to give you advice on what to do.

Fingers crossed this will get sorted.

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • rubyroo52
    Thank you Ami2301
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    That is appalling Contact your MP Neville Pearson
  • rubyroo52
    Thanks Jazzguiter
    I think the local MP for my area ( Berkshire) is Thressa May. I dont hold out much hope.
    I have been refered by my doctor to CAB but have been waiting for them to contact me with no joy.
    The reason im anxious is because im in temporary housing after being illegally evicted from my council house of 30 years in November and spending 3 weeks on the streets.
    Im epilectic and my own health is not great.
    Nobody seems to want to know or help because ive always look after her on my own.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @rubyroo52 and welcome to the community! I am really sorry to hear about this. Unfortunately Scope do not deal with housing issues but I hope the community are able to offer you some support and advice around this. It may also (in addition to other places that have been suggested) be worth looking at Shelter as they can support disabled people in housing and may have more advice on what you are able to do to find a more suitable house for your daughter. Please do keep us updated and I wish you both the very best of luck!

Scope

• rubyroo52
    Thank you Chloe. I have just had a call from CAB who also suggested i contact shelter and Adult Social Care so I will try these avenues.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @rubyroo52! I hope you are able to find somewhere safer for your daughter! 
    Scope

Brightness