Chronic pain and its toll on mental health — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic pain and its toll on mental health

Nigelrl
Nigelrl Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
I'm part of a group for CRPS (Complex Regional Pain) and a major issue is how 24/7 pain affects our mental health. What is also high is lack of support for this well except here take a pill. 
That being said what are your ways of improving/maintaining your mental health

Comments

• phi
    phi Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I personally use mindfulness and meditation I find them useful as they train you to either concentrate on the source of pain or switch off for 5mins as I suffer from chronic me and nerve / joint pains and now arthritis in my spine it helps. I am also suffering from mental health problems and there is no support in my area for this. Perhaps we need to set up a virtual talking shop about mental health and chronic pain
  • Nigelrl
    I too was taught mindfulness and it has become part of day routine
     I attend the qigong group and it has helped me so much and then there's good old divertion 
    I totally agree about the need for more support in this area and like your idea 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Distraction distraction distraction. Video games, loud music, stroking things with interesting textures. Relaxation exercises help me too.
  • Nigelrl
    I agree re distraction how ever with painsomnia  (no sleep due to pain) the brain often goes to dark places. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Its definately a viscous circle for me, when I am anxious my pain is worse. With fibro my forearms and hands get so bad when im anxious thats my warning to take distraction action lol
  • Nigelrl
    Right now this barometrical pinball is the pits
  • lottiekins
    lottiekins Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    chronic pain does horrible things to my depression - for me its about finding new ways to do things or a purpose in life. I hate being off sick as my life is literally confined to bed and the sofa - continuous pain exhausts me more then anything else, and often gets to the point where I don't want to be around anymore.
    I wish there was more support for people experiencing chronic pain - but with the understanding that pain is there on a good and bad day - for me, the only change is how well my head can cope with it, and thats where I need the help!
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I hear that, @lottiekins ! I was very lucky to get several sessions with a clinical pain psychologist as part of my pain management programme. She helped me to accept it.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I use Mindfullness and plan my actions very carefully (can't remember the term). These have helped me continue walking long after most would have given up. Now, without being able to use a wheelchair indoors, I am not only housebound but bedbound too (except I am in a recliner chair rather than a bed). The methods The Pain Clinic procedures they teach do work but really only before the pain reaches a certain level. After that there isn't much of anything that can help it seems.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Brightness