THE LOSING FEELING — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

THE LOSING FEELING

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every body so I have been awarded standard rate of PIP. Mobility got four points.  Daily living nine.

Understanding the report well it was not me.  I did not recognise that person. At the dilemma stage and I decided not to appeal.

My first thoughts are there are others like me.   Others in my conscious who have lost everything got zero points. Have worse disabilities and illness as me and still got zero points.  Even some who have got points but lost the car.

Saturday the letter came from Motability offer a cheque for a designated sum to end the contract early and hand back the car.

Have no choice that money will help and my savings.   I hope it will but have nagging doubts.

Been on line looking for a replacement car. Thinking sinking feeling. Losing a life line. You suddenly realise the power of all these changes. How they are effecting your mental health.  Your mind and well being.

Been out today driving need to drop in to the council offices.  Wanted the whole report and benefit letter. All I need to say do not know why but anyway have nothing to hide.

Doing this too long and here I am realising if what lose council and housing benefit but you keep thinking.  Why you tell me.  Anxiety does that as I well know and now have the feeling. Have no car but have to try to struggle and survive. 

Could be ages before I can get something I hope and pray.  Went on line. Looking around , deals and incentives all lovely but worry.

You get a booklet with promises and things that Motability can say will help.

Keep thinking of a former business friend who bought a car on a plan.  Down the line around nearly five years and it is a rust bucket and paying it still.  After seven years paid it off and was so dejected by it all. Stopped driving.

I do want to continue but with age slowly creeping up am 53 . Always in the fore front of trying to think straight. Options, choices and am grateful to have some money.

My thoughts are for those who have no money no car and yet some how try to deal with it all.  In the end I do think PIP has failed. Because it has not helped any body.

Who is the winner.? Can not see anybody being a truly appreciative of this scheme. Wasted money and time spent who is benefitting from it all.?

Supposed to help those who need the help the most .  We as a community know that is not happening and I see most days the hurt and harm it is doing.

Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @thespiceman, I’m so sorry you’v lost the award you should get.

The car situation your in like others is awful.

A family member is applying for PIP and my advice to them was, if you do get award mobility then use the money to buy car as the DWP can take it away as quick as the gave you it.

I don’t know, obviously, of your financial situation but I’d think about if buying a small cheap car would be viable.

Take Care
  • thespiceman
    Hello @susan48 Thank you for kind words and support.

Another blow but got this offer of the financial incentive have till before October . To hand the car back. So will ring some time this week.

Arrange a date. Hope and pray I get the cheque for the stated amount. My friend said double check but I am sure they sent me a letter.

Will what the letter says stand by that. I am hopeful.  They will after all been on the scheme a long time.

Just want to get it done and spend some time the next chapter of my life.   Moving on.

Looking out side see the car I used to have will be gone.  In it place some new car.  Eventually. So have to get used to that and look forward to being strong and supporting all you great people of our community.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    I'm sorry to hear this! This link about the mobility transitional support package for long term mobility customers will hopefully help put your mind at rest. Scroll down to financial support. https://www.motability.co.uk/about-the-scheme/personal-independence-payment/unsuccessful-reassessment/transitional-support-package/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @poppy123456 Thanks very much given me a deadline before 31st October as I have said.

Hope and pray when hand back the car get the cheque.  After fourteen days. .  

Just want to hand it back soon as possible.

Nothing worse than anxiety if you need to comply with the rules they stipulated in the letter.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @poppy123456 Thanks very much given me a deadline before 31st October as I have said.

Hope and pray when hand back the car get the cheque.  After fourteen days. .  

Just want to hand it back soon as possible.

Nothing worse than anxiety if you need to comply with the rules they stipulated in the letter.
    All of my 3 Motability cars that I have had in the past 5 years were handed (driven back by me) to the participating dealership the same day that I received the decision letter. I couldn't face the thought of looking at it knowing that it was to be repossessed.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to hear that. No chance of appealing?
  • Yadnad
    Sorry to hear that. No chance of appealing?
    No, not really the MR decision was some 4 months ago and now out of time. Due to age (70) I am too old to claim PIP again.

I just gave up when they told me that to carry on with the fight I would have to go to appeal. The stress was ruining my life.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    The only people who have got anything out of this mess,
    Are the people who were 65 and over in April 2013.
    I know a few. They keep everything DLA. Car. They get other benifits too. And are rather well off. 
    The line was drawn on the rest of us and we need to find a way of surviving on next to nothing.
    Its ALL very depressing. The carpet was pulled from under us.
    Chin up spiceman! You have many years infront of you and US right behind you
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @thespiceman sorry to hear this you have given so much support to others,vi was in the same place a few weeks ago, car was due back June decided to keep and appeal loseing out on full payment on return. The next date was Oct for low payout which is when I would of return car but I'm so relieved and surprised DWP reconsidered award to enhanced. Medicals can happen to are you going for MR 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • thespiceman
    Hello @april123   Thank you for support and kind words, this is the dilemma.

Have written about this,  Understanding of course could appeal but do not wish to.

Comments on why basically is this am 54 soon appeal why wait for what another six months or so. Main reason also getting old tired been doing this constantly twenty years plus.  On and off appealing, just sick of all it. Leave it got extra money plus a nice cheque.

Not saying how much.  Also remember if you lease a Motability car is it not yours technically. Belongs to the Garage through the Government.  Have always anxious driving any car but just want to get rid. Get my money and my savings some thing for me.

Got offered this and took it straight away.

Besides remember you are on this scheme till 64. I know if next PIP assessment might not win or lose that benefit. So at least have car. Not worried again taking it away.

As we have seen if you are like me. Fan of the forum and on here supporting all your lovely people. Who I care.  Losing the car because you have illness or disability worse than me.  Not like that . Always have compassion, empathy and heart for all those.

Not a self centred greedy gentleman once had money . So much every time went to the toilet spent a penny lol. Being a spiritualist and being one of God's children I know now the stories I read. Understanding my community and being with them in prayers. Is it important a car, yet others have none. Can use taxi if I have to. Always seek the way forward. Use this marvellous technology we have to use.

Communicate with each other, support each other and share with each other.

Pleasure to meet you.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    Misscleo said:
    The only people who have got anything out of this mess,
    Are the people who were 65 and over in April 2013.
    I know a few. They keep everything DLA. Car. They get other benifits too. And are rather well off. 
    The line was drawn on the rest of us and we need to find a way of surviving on next to nothing.
    Its ALL very depressing. The carpet was pulled from under us.
    Chin up spiceman! You have many years infront of you and US right behind you
    I agree with you, I was 65 just a few weeks too late.
    I checked out Attendance Allowance which is the similar benefit for those over 65. But even with that you have to be extremely ill/disabled and either get or are in need of frequent attention throughout the day. 
    Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your view point, I don't have the need for a carer to have to hover over me throughout the day.

Obviously there are many of my age that do actually need that high level of care and I feel extremely lucky that I am not one of them - yet!

The point I am making is that for us that missed the boat to keep DLA at 65 there is a large gap between the requirements under DLA and those for Attendance Allowance.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Yrs i agree. That gap is a stumbling  block for all over 65 and thete doesnt seem to be an answer to it .
    Wr forgotten

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.