Carers support? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers support?

wpshark
wpshark Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I care for my wife full time. She became ill in 2012 with various conditions that now keep her basically bed-bound. She sleeps most of the time so I have nobody to interact with.  After 5 yrs of this I find that I am isolated and very lonely. Even though I am 65 I am healthy and still have a zest for life. I am sick of spending lonely hours just sitting watching TV. THE SO-CALLED SUPPORT GROUPS make all the right noises but offer very little in terms of practical help. I would really like to make contact with ladies in a similar position or who understand what it is like. People from the Huntingdon area. (Cambridgeshire).

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wpshark

Good Evening & Welcome to our Community/Family.

We have got many femal members who I do hope will be in contact.

Please please let me know if there’s any problems with this???

• wpshark
    Hi Steve, No problems at all. 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wpshark and welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to share this with us and it is completely understandable to feel the way that you do. Do you have any medical support in place? Have you contacted social services? They may be able to send someone round which would give you chance to leave the house. Also, Carers Trust or Carers UK may be a good place to look at :) I wish you and your wife well and if you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch!
    Scope

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @wpshark, how are you getting on? :)
    Liam
  • wpshark
    Hi , Well yesterday was my wife;s birthday so we decided to take an overnight trip to Cambridge and go to a nice seafood restaurant. She did very well but as soon as we got home she was in pain to the10th degree and in bed. Has been ever since. And so life goes on.
    Just to answer Chloe.....All those things you mention , I have tried. What do they offer? What can they do? Come over for a chat and cup of tea maybe? Do an assessment? Tell you to attend meetings? Yes we have been in contact with Social Services and Physios etc etc. We have a special bed and a special toilet.
    If you sense a growing frustration, you are right.
    CHeers

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wpshark, I am really sorry to hear this. I will have a think to see what else could potentially support you during this time. 
    Scope

• blitzy123
    blitzy123 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    wpshark said:
    Hi , Well yesterday was my wife;s birthday so we decided to take an overnight trip to Cambridge and go to a nice seafood restaurant. She did very well but as soon as we got home she was in pain to the10th degree and in bed. Has been ever since. And so life goes on.
    Just to answer Chloe.....All those things you mention , I have tried. What do they offer? What can they do? Come over for a chat and cup of tea maybe? Do an assessment? Tell you to attend meetings? Yes we have been in contact with Social Services and Physios etc etc. We have a special bed and a special toilet.
    If you sense a growing frustration, you are right.
    CHeers

Our local council ave  carers  centre see if  yours has one ours was really nice they made a appointment for a assessment they will ask you  about everything then suggest ways they can help you they have trips just for carers and put things in place so your wife has care while u go on these trips they are also groups meeting you can attend and ave a chat and cup pf tea they will help  alot i would be lost with out them  hope this helps 

Brightness