Part time study? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Part time study?

Options
lottiekins
lottiekins Community member Posts: 7 Connected
Hello,

I have been onESA going on 3 years, and am in the support group at the moment. I struggle with pretty much most aspects of my care, and require 25 hours of care a week from social services (3 calls a day and a further 13 hours in direct payments).

Although I struggle hugely with pain, fatigue and brain fog, I am really struggling with being off sick, and its making me extremely depressed. I know I couldn't cope with work, but study is something that I feel I could attempt part time - how successful I will be, I don't know.

My question is weather my ESA will likely be affected by this decision? I am petrified that the DWP will see this as a sign I could work, but it really isn't.

I would have the choice of either studying with the OU or at a local university - but due to dyslexia, i feel that face to face contact of a local uni would actually be more beneficial. I am aware that all lectures are recorded, so am likely to be able to arrange to have these in place when I am too unwell to get into uni, and other support for both learning and physical issues. Would signing up to either of these affect ESA more then the other?

I don't want to risk loosing my income, but I am finding it very hard to cope with having no way of moving myself forward. I know I may never be well enough to work, but I need something to give me a reason to live.

any advice and support would be appreciated xx

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @lottiekins

Sounds like a good idea, why not contact direct a local university, that you fancy studying at.  They all should have disabled students advice services. You can explain about your potential needs.

Not sure about tuition fees.

With this background information, you will be better placed in dealing with ESA.

Let us know how you get on or if you need further details.

Good luck.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi again

Try calling Disability Rights UK, Disabled Students helpline on tel: 0330 995 0414.

I am sure they will be able to help you.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options

Hi Lottie,

If you are receiving DLA or PIP then you can continue to claim ESA whilst a full-time student. If your course is only part-time then you need not be in receipt of DLA/PIP.

The only thing to watch out for, is whether your activity of attending the course calls into question the basis for which you meet the criteria for the Support Group - this will depend on the reasons for which you are awarded benefit.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary

The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.