My PIP has been cancelled — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My PIP has been cancelled

Options
RedNoel24
RedNoel24 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I am profoundly deaf from birth and Pip cancelled my disability benefits. The lady said that she is from Pakistan that they don't get benefits. She said that I can talk but I lipread as well. She gave me a four. I get nothing from the government. I tried to show her my hearing test but she was not interested.

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @RedNoel24 and welcome to the community. I am really sorry about this. PIP is given on how a disability affects a person rather than any diagnosis that they have. Have you appealed the decision? It may be worth taking the PIP self- help test to see what points you may receive. Please bare in mind that an assessor may give you a different score. If you are looking to appeal then I am sure this is something that the community can help with! 
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    RedNoel24 said:
    I am profoundly deaf from birth and Pip cancelled my disability benefits. The lady said that she is from Pakistan that they don't get benefits. She said that I can talk but I lipread as well. She gave me a four. I get nothing from the government. I tried to show her my hearing test but she was not interested.
    That reminds me of my ESA assessment back in 2009. I couldn't understand a word he was saying (heavy Asian accent) so most of the conversation was one sided with me saying 'pardon can you please speak up and a lot more clearly' It didn't go down well at all.

I am also deaf in both ears.
    At one of my PIP assessments I only had one aid in as I had run out of batteries. She wanted to check that I was needing two aids but when she saw just the one her report said that I had no hearing difficulties.
  • RedNoel24
    RedNoel24 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    What a stupid woman, I am deaf in both ears, my nerves are so badly damaged in my left ear, I don't wear a hearing aid as it would be pointless, my right ear has 5% hearing and has birth bone degeneration so I am able to wear a hearing aid as the nerves has some functionality.
    Trying to find employment is impossible as companies don't want to employ deaf people eventhough I have diplomas and Autocad drafting behind me. I am presently an EBay Seller which has gotten me out of a suicide stigma.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

PIP isn't about not being able to work, people claim PIP and work. You need to look at the PIP descriptors to see where you could score those points. The PIP self test is a good starting point.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect you daily. It really depends how your affected by being deaf because the PIP descriptors won't apply to everyone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.