I've just had my PIP assessment - how did I do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've just had my PIP assessment - how did I do?

Options
naafi
naafi Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2017 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I am new on here.
I have just had my face to face assessment for PIP.
It was done in my home. the lady who did it said she was an ex intensive care nurse and was very nice and the whole thing was completely relaxed.
I am wondering now how I did as no clue was given but I did get the feeling that it all went very well.
I have MS, osteoarthritis, cervical spondylitis and lumbar spondylitis. COPD and Asthma.
I am incontinent and am hard of hearing, also have severe allergies and have to use an epipen.

I answered all the questions and was consistent with all my answers as far as I can tell.
With regard to my mobility I was not asked to try to walk but she did see me struggle on crutches to get to my lounge as she arrived.
She could also see my well used wheelchair in my hallway.
She asked me to do the eye test, squeeze her fingers etc to which she said I was weak.
I could not get my arms behind my back, in fact my right arm went in to a spasms and I screamed out in pain.
She chose and stated that she would NOT ask me to do the tests for standing and bending etc as she could see that it would not be possible for me to do them.
She asked about bathing etc and if I had any aids grab rails. Again my answers were consistent with what I had put on my form and nothing contradicted any other questions on the form.
I said that I had grab rails and bath aids and told her she could have a look in my bathroom if she wanted to, She said there was no need for her to look.
My medications were all shown to her and she commented on how I was on a lot of medication and very strong pain relief.
On asking about preparing a meal, she did appear to be actually saying that I could not.
In fact she seemed to be suggesting this on several things.
She even extended her time with me twice.

Before she left she said I would hear in about 6 to 8 weeks and not to fret or worry.

I am left now wondering if I will get my high rate for daily living and high rate mobility. I have high rate on DLA at the moment which was life award.

I will be waiting anxiously all the same.

Comments

• naafi
    Options
    Not sure if I have posted this in the right place.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @naafi,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

As your assessor says, it can take between 6 to 8 weeks, but if you're curious about the status of your claim, you can call the PIP enquiry line on 0345 850 3322 from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

I also believe that you can ask for the assessor's report a short while after the assessment, which can give an indication about the outcome, but I am not too sure about this.

@BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
    Liam
  • wildlife
    wildlife Community member Posts: 1,293 Pioneering
    edited August 2017
    Options
    @naafi You don't have to wait to find out what your award is likely to be. Ring the PIP helpline number and ask for a copy of your assessor's report to be sent to you. It isn't sent automatically. The assessor suggests which descriptors best fit with the problems you have and the help you need by filling in a PA4 form straight after your assessment. This is then sent to DWP for the Decision Maker to use in making your decision. DWP have no medical knowledge so they rely on what the assessor tells them as to what your reward will be. When you receive your assessor's report, go through it to check that what is written about you is correct and matches what happened at your assessment. Then wait for your Decision  Letter to arrive. It sounds like you had a good assessor so fingers crossed you'll get the outcome you're hoping for..
  • naafi
    Options
    Thank you. I will ring and ask for a copy of the assesors report.
    Will be interesting to see anyway.

• naafi
    Options
    Hi all.
    Good news.
    I telephoned DWP today as they never sent a copy of the assesors report to me as requested. I requested it twice.
    Anyway, when rang today to request it I was told a desision had been made.
    I have been awarded Enhanced care rate and enhanced mobility rate. Awarded until 2022.
    I will be 67 by then so do not expect to get any better.

I am so pleased that I did not loose out on switching from DLA to PIP.
    I was worried I might as so many other people seem to be down scored during the change over.

I can now sleep tonight hopfuly for the first time in 3 and a half months. That is time scale from start to finish. Still have to wait for letter but at least I know.

I am soooooo relieved. Can get on with the rest of my life now.

• naafi
    Options
    DWP told me my DLA will finish on 3rd October and my PIP will start 4th October. 
    They said the effect on my payments for the chang over will be explained in a letter.
    Probably be confusing.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @naafi

Really pleased for you.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2017
    Options
    congrats getting the award you deserve. Just as important it should take you past retiring age with enhanced mobility to continue onward ( provided you continue to meet the criteria )
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    naafi, this is excellent news. It sounds as if you had a decent assessor (they do exist!) 

The rules about when DLA ends are a bit complicated but in your case the good news is that your PIP entitlement starts the day after your DLA ends, so there should be no gap.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• JanL
    JanL Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    Hi all - after my last great review getting my PIP awarded the Dr sent a letter stating I needed the higher rate mobility so I sent it - I then had to start the thing over again.  I had my assessment some weeks ago and then 8 weeks ago I received a text from the DWP saying that they were looking at my assessment and would be in touch in 4 weeks - I have heard nothing do you think I should contact them to find out what is happening.  Sorry if this is not the correct thing to put on here but I really need to know what is happening (they are still paying the standard payment at present) thanks Jan  
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @JanL,

It can take between 6 to 8 weeks to find out the outcome of your assessment, but if you're curious about the status of your claim, you can call the PIP enquiry line on 0800 121 4433.

Best of luck with your claim!
    Liam
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    naafi said:
    My medications were all shown to her and she commented on how I was on a lot of medication and very strong pain relief.

I'm not being nosey but the reports I had said that my pain relief medication was in the low range.
    For pain relief only I am on the following

Oramorph 600ml - dosage up to 20ml as and when needed
    Morphine MST - 90mg taken twice a day (180mg a day)
    Pregabalin - 150mg twice a day (300mg a day)

What medication have you been prescribed?. Just interested in knowing and seeing if my assessors were right or wrong. I thought that it was at least in the medium range. I also thought that Paracetamol and Asprin were in the low range.
  • blitzy123
    blitzy123 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @naafi,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

As your assessor says, it can take between 6 to 8 weeks, but if you're curious about the status of your claim, you can call the PIP enquiry line on 0345 850 3322 from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm.

I also believe that you can ask for the assessor's report a short while after the assessment, which can give an indication about the outcome, but I am not too sure about this.

@BenefitsTrainingCo, can you help?
    i had phone assessment tuesday  yesterday i phoned up ato change my telphone number and the man said to me that report had come throu and would i like a copy so 2 days later i was offered a copy  
  • LittleGizmo86
    LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Options
    Yadnad said:
    naafi said:

I'm not being nosey but the reports I had said that my pain relief medication was in the low range.

What medication have you been prescribed?. Just interested in knowing and seeing if my assessors were right or wrong. I thought that it was at least in the medium range. I also thought that Paracetamol and Asprin were in the low range.
    @yadnad

As far as some patients go you are on a fair bit less. People with chronic pain have loads and loads of different stuff.

Of course i dont know what the poster takes but people with MS typically use meds like fentanyl patches which are very stong.

• Yadnad
    Options
    Yadnad said:
    naafi said:

@yadnad

As far as some patients go you are on a fair bit less. People with chronic pain have loads and loads of different stuff.

Of course i dont know what the poster takes but people with MS typically use meds like fentanyl patches which are very stong.

Thanks that all I wanted to know. The assessor used the argument that not withstanding the points I made about the difficulties and impact on my life which she in the main accepted where pain was the main issue she stated that however they were all inconsistent with the medication that had been prescribed which was of a low dosage and strength. 
    Therefore she awarded 0 points for those particular elements.

It was interesting to have a second opinion and like they would say  - I would be knocking at a door that is extremely well sealed and locked. It would have been a waste of time if I had have appealed so I made the right decision.

My fault really for not keeping in touch with the pain clinic (missed appointments etc so was struck off their list) when I should have been more up front and complained more about the lack of pain control.

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Options
    Your right. We need to make sure our med are doing their job or whats the point in taking tham
    And please everyone keep or cancel appointments some of us really need them appointments and if its no use to you give someone else the chance of using it. 
    Its cost around £150 everytime people dont turn up for appointments
  • Yadnad
    Options
    Misscleo said:
    Your right. We need to make sure our med are doing their job or whats the point in taking tham
    And please everyone keep or cancel appointments some of us really need them appointments and if its no use to you give someone else the chance of using it. 
    Its cost around £150 everytime people dont turn up for appointments
    You are correct of course.
    But after 23 years of being involved in the medical field with appointments coming out of my ears both for physical and mental issues, I have lost the will to want to keep on going through the system. Not entirely funny when nearly every day it was something or someone to have to go to.
  • JanL
    JanL Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    My advice is do not give up - I waited 16 months to go to Court and I got my mobility assessment passed by the Judge - I am now waiting again for full mobility as my GP said that I needed it - I have been waiting for about 16 weeks since the Assessor came to visit me so don't give up and bear with it you may get what you need.  Good luck to you and keep trying.
  • Yadnad
    Options
    JanL said:
    My advice is do not give up - I waited 16 months to go to Court and I got my mobility assessment passed by the Judge -.
    As good advice as it goes. But if you are without help and assistance in taking your claim to the Tribunal, it is something that you have to have the strength, stamina and perseverance to do so. Not everybody is even capable of handling an appeal hearing especially if they are poorly either in mind or body.
    It surprises me no end to hear of people who never leave the house, don't talk to strangers etc and yet are able to handle a Tribunal.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.