Hearing — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing

cripps
cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
Hi everyone, I’ve got a hospital appointment next week for my hearing and i was just wondering if there is anything i need to tell them. ? I know i need hearing aids but i do have other problems as well , there’s only one problem when I’m at the hospital my anxiety gets worse and i find it hard to talk to anyone, I’ll like to take someone with me  but i don’t have anyone to take. ?

Comments

• Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Hi cripps

sorry you’re having to go alone. Try not to worry about the appointment - is it with ENT(generally a doctor) or audiology (technicians who test your hearing and give you hearing aids)?

If it’s an audiologist they’ll test your heating and the test will tell them everything they need to know. You just have to press a button when you hear the sound.

if you get tinnitus make sure you tell them about that. I’ve necer been given hearing aids there and then, so expect to come back to have them fitted. Make sure you ask them to enable the T loop as lots turn them off automatically.

la there anything you’re specifically worried about? I’ve had mine for 8 years so had a lot of appointments! 
  • cripps
    Thank you for your feedback i feel better knowing what I’m going into, not sure what the T loop is but I’ll ask them to turn it on. Do you get what they give you or do you have a choice, if so what’s the best to go for? 
  • Pin
    I’ve never been given a choice - you get what is best for your type of hearing loss. If you don’t get on with it/them they’ll try another option if there is One. They might only give you one hearing aid even if you have hearing loss in both ears.

t loop comes in handy, it’s a radio frequency (I think) which allows you to connect to loops in shops and public buildings. That then transfers the sound directly to your ears. It’s really handy - if somewhere has it you’ll see a symbol with an ear and a t.

they have different tests, some  just involve a headset, sometimes they put things in your ears and others are devices behind your ears. 

Ask them to rxplain what what they’re doing as they go. I always ask for a print out of my audiogram for my own records. 

Good luck and let me know how you get on!
  • cripps
    Thank you but I don’t understand why you only get 1 hearing aid if you have hearing loss in both, what do i do about the ear without the aid? 
  • Pin
    It’s a cost saving thing as far as I understand. Can’t find much up to date but this explains a little -

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/03/hearing-aids-supply-cuts-nhs-depression-dementia

Its worth questioning it if they only give you one. Alsothey mighy start you on one to check how you get on.
  • cripps
    Thanks I’ll see what happens and I’ll let you know what happens ?
  • cripps
    Just read the report on the website you provide and it’s really depressing, i know the NHS has to save money but to put people’s health at risk is really diabolical and should not be practiced, shame on the NHS for letting this happen. ?
  • cripps
    Just read the report on the website you provide and it’s really depressing, i know the NHS has to save money but to put people’s health at risk is really diabolical and should not be practiced, shame on the NHS for letting this happen. ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    We wish you the very best of luck with your appointment @cripps
    Scope

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Pin hit the nail on the head. 
    Iv had of them for 20 years.
    Just remember to push the button ONLY if you hear a sound dont guess 
  • Pin
    Good point misscleo - sometimes you know there should be a noise because of the pattern but can’t actually hear it. Don’t be tempted to press the button!
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Meanwhile, the n.h.s. funds I. V.f. , though a huge petition of doctors opposes it.
  • cripps
    That may be so but is it enough to stop the savings going through, i just don’t fancy having one good ear i can hear through when i could have two, I’m going because i need to and not just for a half hearted attempt. 
  • cripps
    I’ll only press when i need too and not be tempted to please others.
  • Pin
    You might be pleasantly surprised, it depends what area you’re in.

i don’t think ivf funding is relevant. It isn’t comparable.
  • cripps
    Don’t know anything about ivf so i don’t want to go there, all I’m interested in is my hearing and the sooner it get it sorted out the better. I just hope i get the right treatment i deserve. I know I’m disabled but I’ve still paid my stamps and taxes so just getting hearing aids shouldn’t be such a problem (in the right world anyway) . 
  • cripps
    Don’t know anything about ivf so i don’t want to go there, all I’m interested in is my hearing and the sooner it get it sorted out the better. I just hope i get the right treatment i deserve. I know I’m disabled but I’ve still paid my stamps and taxes so just getting hearing aids shouldn’t be such a problem (in the right world anyway) . 
  • Pin
    I quite agree ?

Fingers crossed if you need two, you get them. At least you will be prepared if it happens and will know to ask why you’re not getting two.
  • cripps
    Thank you you’ve been very pleasant with your reply’s and your understanding with my needs. I feel a little more relaxed with what i need to look out for and more knowledgeable with what i need to ask, thank you once again ??
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Just saying if iv only got 1 in (cos iv had to get to phone, door etc)
    I get dizzy. unbalanced so it must make a big difference so if you need 2 its important that you have 2
    Our ears afect our balance

Brightness