Appeal pip — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appeal pip

darcieollie
darcieollie Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
Ive just called appeals for my pip they say a decision has been made and it’s in the post I’m starting to worry what it’s going to say now as my multiple scelorosis nurse sent in more evidence in June and this is a very quick reply from the appeals 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you mean the Mandatory Reconsideration and not Tribunal? A tribunal hearing can take several months, a year in some areas. If it's MR decision you're waiting for then ring DWP and they'll tell what the decision is. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • darcieollie
    My case went to court of appeal and the judge made a decision on Thursday but I have to wait for letter in post. My claim has been going on since January 12th 2018 but it’s been with appeal since June. It’s a very quick response. 
  • poppy123456
    As you only requested the Tribunal in June that is an extremely quick decision. Did you ask for a paper based decision or did you tell them you would be appearing in person? Have you received the bundle yet, with all the paper work sent from DWP? I'm thinking you may have mistaken a decision being made on your PIP with a decision whether your appeal has been accepted. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • darcieollie
    I received my paper work back in July it was a paper appeal 
  • darcieollie
    They told me Friday that the judge made his decision on Thursday this week and it’s in post 
  • darcieollie
    I had a relapse and sent new evidence to them in June but it had gone to appeal and that’s where I sent the new information 
  • poppy123456
    You'll just have to wait for the letter, you may receive it today if not then Tuesday because it's a bank holiday weekend. Good luck.
  • darcieollie
    Thank you hopefully today 
  • jewels24
    jewels24 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hi

I am hoping that somebody will be able to answer a couple of questions for me.

1.  I am transferring from DLA to PIP and I have recently received a letter refusing my claim.  I have written to request a review/appeal to this decision.  However the letter refusing me PIP stated that my current DLA will end on 28/08/18.  If I have written to ask for review, will my payment end on 28/08/18 regardless?

2.  I am currently entitled to free Road Tax and the refusal letter stated that after 28/08/18, I would need to make alternative arrangements?  Is that the case if I am asking for review/appeal?

3.  I need to apply for a new blue bade as mine expires in October.  Can I do this still using my DLA status or will I need to get my doctor to provide evidence while my appeal is going through?

Thanks for your help.

Jewels

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    jewels24 said:

Hi

1.  I am transferring from DLA to PIP and I have recently received a letter refusing my claim.  I have written to request a review/appeal to this decision.  However the letter refusing me PIP stated that my current DLA will end on 28/08/18.  If I have written to ask for review, will my payment end on 28/08/18 regardless?

2.  I am currently entitled to free Road Tax and the refusal letter stated that after 28/08/18, I would need to make alternative arrangements?  Is that the case if I am asking for review/appeal?

3.  I need to apply for a new blue bade as mine expires in October.  Can I do this still using my DLA status or will I need to get my doctor to provide evidence while my appeal is going through?

Thanks for your help.

Jewels

1. No your DLA will cease on the 28th August regardless of what you decide to do about the PIP decision.
    2. Yes you will have to notify the DVLA that as from the 28th August you are no longer entitled to the Road Tax reduction. You will have to pay the full rate from that date.
    3. Your DLA will have ceased by the 28th August so you cannot use it as a way to get the new Blue Badge in October. You will have to apply to your local council for one but without the automatic entitlement. This will involve completing a long form, submitting evidence that you have difficulty in walking and more than likely have as assessment to attest to your difficulties
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Yadnad

jewels24 said:

Hi

3.  I need to apply for a new blue bade as mine expires in October.  Can I do this still using my DLA status or will I need to get my doctor to provide evidence while my appeal is going through

Just to let you know how difficult it can be to obtain a Blue Badge without the automatic entitlement.

I filled out the council form for my wife who is 75 and for the past 9 years has been receiving the day & night rate of Attendance Allowance (the equivalent to High Care for DLA). As it does not feature anything for mobility I had to submit evidence that she finds it difficult in walking any distance beyond 20 metres or so. 
    She already had a Blue Badge which ran out yesterday.
    I received an email late yesterday afternoon saying that the application has been refused. Unfortunately there is no official appeal system in place. 
    You can apply locally for the decision to be looked at again

• poppy123456
    jewels24 said:

Hi

Thanks for your help.

Jewels

Hi,

Unfortunately your DLA will stop on 28/8/18 regardless of the MR request for the PIP application. DLA no longer exists and you weren't awarded PIP on the transfer sadly. 

You will need to contact DVLA and arrange to pay your road tax yourself because you won't be entitled to that, as stated in the letter. 

Your blue badge renewal, as you no longer have your DLA mobility award and you've been refused PIP then you won't automatically qualify for a blue badge. You'll need to check the criteria for your local councils blue badge scheme because all councils are different.

Do you claim any other benefits like ESA? This might be affected too.  does anyone claim carers allowance for looking after you? if they do then this will stop also. 

For your MR request i'd advise getting further help from your local CAB or the likes. Good luck.

• Yadnad
    edited August 2018

For your MR request i'd advise getting further help from your local CAB or the likes. Good luck.

Is that good luck in finding the help? If so I would agree with you entirely. After 5 years I never managed it.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with your appeal. I got help from welfare rights and won at tribunal. It can be aclong Road.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    You might find getting a blue badge isn’t difficult at all depending on your Council. I found it very easy - it was all done online and oddly I wasn’t asked for any evidence.
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    jewels24 said:

Hi

Thanks for your help.

Jewels

I also was turned down when I had to go from DLA to PIP. I am going to appeal. I have my own car and renewed my tax last October 2017, before I got the letter saying that my DLA would stop..  I have checked my road tax status on DVLA website, every week since my DLA stopped. It states that my car is still taxed (DISABLED) until Oct 2018! Also my Blue badge doesn't run out until Sept.2018.  I rang my local council and asked if I can renew my badge, even though I'm no longer on Disability. I was told that I can renew it and they gave me an appointment,for early October.
    I hope you can sort this out and good luck.

Caz.
  • poppy123456
    Cazann said:

I also was turned down when I had to go from DLA to PIP. I am going to appeal. I have my own car and renewed my tax last October 2017, before I got the letter saying that my DLA would stop..  I have checked my road tax status on DVLA website, every week since my DLA stopped. It states that my car is still taxed (DISABLED) until Oct 2018! Also my Blue badge doesn't run out until Sept.2018.  I rang my local council and asked if I can renew my badge, even though I'm no longer on Disability. I was told that I can renew it and they gave me an appointment,for early October.

Caz.
    You need to tell DVLA that you no longer claim DLA because you're no longer entitled to the free road tax and you'll need to take your V5C and all other details to your post office and you will be able to tax it there. They will send your V5C back to DVLA to change the disabled class. 

Yes, of course you can apply to renew your blue badge but as you don't automatically qualify now then you'll most likely have to attend an assessment before it's renewed. 
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    They can’t change your Insurance class if you don’t tell them - you must do this ASAP.
  • Yadnad

Caz.

From the date that your DLA stopped you have been using the car illegally without paying the Road Tax. You should report this and tax your car at the full rate.

The following is an extract from the terms and conditions that you signed when you applied for your current Blue Badge

I understand that I must promptly inform my local issuing authority of any changes that may affect my entitlement to a badge.

Have you advised the issuing authority that you no longer have an automatic entitlement to the current Blue Badge?
    If not I would advise that you contact them and ask them what they would want you to do.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.