Help with pip appealssa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with pip appealssa

blueboy87
blueboy87 Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
hi could anyone tell me who would be best as a representative at pip tribunal 

Comments

• lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    I am taking my daughter with me she cares for me everyday. She knows how my disabilities affects me everyday.
  • blueboy87
    Hi@lindadenise I’m his carer but someone said to get someone who isn’t family or carer and CAB don’t really do appeals now
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn’t have a representative at my tribunal, I took a friend who was allowed to asked questions or make a statement at the end of the hearing 
  • blueboy87
    Hi@susan48 did you win your appeal 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    @blueboy87 yes I won the tribunal but in my experience it was very traumatic, my anxiety was in overdrive 

Good luck though, it’s a very stressful for some
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    This subject has come up before. here are various organisations that you may be able to approach. I used a legal representative from our local Community Law Centre. His advice was free of charge and he attended the Tribunal as well. His advice was invaluable, as was his statement to the Tribunal. He quoted Upper Tribunal rulings on certain aspects of the mobility element of PIP. If you live near a University that has a School of Law, they may have an advice centre, some final year students are encouraged to help out and offer advice. There is a charity called Carers Matter, they help your carer, if you have one, and their advice is usually very good. They also offered to represent us at the Tribunal, but too many cooks etc etc. In my opinion CAB are a waste of time. When my MR was declined I went to our local CAB, and frankly I was treated as though I had an infectious disease. They couldn't wait to get me out of the office. They referred me to another organisation, Equal Lives. Three weeks before I was due to go to Tribunal one of their representatives telephoned me and asked if I was still going ahead the Appeal, I said I was, to quote him. "You very rarely get Mobility MR decisions overturned, so I don't think we can help" That instilled me with confidence, NOT. However, our CLC stepped in and wow, were they good! Look for a local support service, social services will steer you in the right direction. Not knowing exactly where you live, it is difficult to offer precise advice, as it varies from County to County. As I said above, try a CLC or a School of Law advice centre. Good Luck.  
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022

social services will steer you in the right direction. Not knowing exactly where you live, it is difficult to offer precise advice, as it varies from County to County. As I said above, try a CLC or a School of Law advice centre. Good Luck.  

Good advice but only to the extent that you live in an area where there is an abundance of organisations. Some counties are, as Mike [removed by moderator] says, deserts!
    Yes I have a local Uni that does have a Law school, but because my area is swamped with immigrants both legal and illegal (close to Dover and the quiet beaches on the South Coast) they only now are able to offer legal help for them.
    For 5 years I have not been able to find anyone other than the CAB which like yours is useless.
  • blueboy87
    Hi @Peasmold_01 I live in Middlesbrough we have Teesside university do you think I should go there 
  • Yadnad
    blueboy87 said:
    Hi @Peasmold_01 I live in Middlesbrough we have Teesside university do you think I should go there 

It seems that you may be in luck
    https://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_courses/Law_Policing_&_Investigation/LLB_(Hons)_Law.cfm

• blueboy87
    @Yadnad thanks for that link I will do it tomorrow once again thank you 
  • Peasmold_01
    Yadnad, have you tried this.ttps://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Community+Law+Centre+Kent&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB800GB800&oq=Community+Law+Centre+Kent&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7. It's a Law Clinic in Canterbury, but not on Campus, I believe. Good luck
  • Peasmold_01
    Blueboy87.Try this link, they definatley have an advice centre, with final year students. Get in quickly, as they are opening for new registrations in October . Good luck
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @blueboy87

Try Middlesbrough Council Welfare Rights Unit on tel: 01642 729242.

They do representation at Tribunal and they are all Welfare Rights Specalist.

Good luck, remember Monday is a Bank Holiday.
  • blueboy87
    Hi@atlas46 I remembered after I placed my post my head is all over the place but thank you 
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    Yadnad, have you tried this.ttps://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Community+Law+Centre+Kent&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB800GB800&oq=Community+Law+Centre+Kent&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.7. It's a Law Clinic in Canterbury, but not on Campus, I believe. Good luck
    Thanks
    Yes I have had them (Law School  - Canterbury Uni) work with me on a Council Tax benefit issue that went to a Tribunal a few years back. I was out of my depth and one of the lecturers helped me and represented me at the hearing. It was amazing, I said very little as it turned out to be central to a legal argument. The Judge, the solicitor for the council and my rep had law books out all over the table by the time we had finished. I was pleased with the result in that it saved me over £3000 of unpaid Council Tax and forced the council to rewrite part of their internal guidance books. It was the first and last time that I had the experience of having somebody represent me.

I have tried since (2017) to get them involved but unfortunately due to the large number of asylum cases and failed exclusion appeals they get involved in, they now only have the capacity and time to take on these types of cases 
    We have a large detention centre close by and the majority of their referrals come from there - mainly those who are to be removed from the UK due to criminal convictions or failed asylum seekers..

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.