Can someone give me a bit of advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can someone give me a bit of advice

Options
Charli
Charli Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
Hi I was wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice im awaiting a pip decision for my husband from the report it looks favourable he could get enhanced for both, but it’s carers  I’m confused about I’ve been told I can apply for carers before the pip decision but I went on the gov website and they say you have to wait for the decision to apply please help 

Comments

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Charli

Yes you have to wait for decision letter from PIP, then claim CA.

You can get it backdated, from award of PIP.

Hope this helps
  • Charli
    Options
    Thanks atlas46 that’s a great help 
  • atlas46
    Options
    Hi Charli

No problem.  Would also check what other help your husband can get after PIP.

1. Blue Badge.
    2. Free road tax.
    3. Disabled Bus Pass.

You could also seek a Carer's Assessment, from your Local Authority.
  • Charli
    Options
    Thanks atlas that’s a great help I’ll look into all you’ve mentioned have a great bank holiday 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you claim a means tested benefit like ESA or Income Support then it will be the carers premium that will be backdated to the start of the PIP claim and not the carers allowance. Lots of people get totally confused by this. 

The quickest way to claim for carers allowance is online. After the decision's been made, of course. 
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

If you claim Universal credit then there's no need to claim carers allowance to be awarded the carers element of universal credit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Charli
    Options
    Thanks poppy123456 
  • atlas46
    Options
    Hi @Username_removed

Not sure I understand why you would attempt to claim CA, if the person you are caring for does not get one of the "qualifying benefits"?

Surely, it would fail at first phone call, I assume the DWP, will ask if the person you are claiming for get's PIP, as in this case.

Or  am I missing something?
  • Charli
    Options
    Thanks mikehughescq you always seem to give great advice 
  • atlas46
    Options
    Hi @Username_removed

Just out of interest, what case law do you rely upon, that you can apply for benefits, before benefits are in play?

Can you also please direct me to the maladminstration cases, that I can invoke in such circumstances.

It would also be of assistance, if you could kindly list the actual benefits, that can be triggered, before the starting gun.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.