Bad behaviour by disabled people — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bad behaviour by disabled people

Options
amg1955
amg1955 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
had a bad experience at the footy over the weekend. We have a wheelchairs space on level 7 which obviously needs a lift. It only holds 2 wheelchairs at a time so needs a bit of patience but is fine, a steward runs it so that randoms who can’t be bothered with the stairs can’t hog it. One man who had been sitting near me and drinking all through the match insisted he should be next as he was more disabled than some of the people in there. He jammed himself in the lift door so it couldn’t leave until someone got out and let him in. To be fair to the steward, short of manhandling him out, what could he do? He was swearing and shouting and saying I wasn’t really disabled cos I just had a stupid scooter and that anyone with a stick should just wak. His caree abandoned him.
oroblem is, being disabled doesn’t mean that you’re not just a nasty piece of work!

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @amg1955
    Welcome to the community! This is both shocking yet not surprising at all! 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @amg1955   Pleased to meet you welcome.  Thank you for sharing.

Sorry what has happened. I hope the experience has not put you off going to football matches.

I hope you find us all friendly and supportive,  We all of us in the community have mutual respect, kindness and  warmth..  

Care and share have concern.

Glad to help with anything. Please ask. Some one will know.

Please take care.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @amg1955 and thank you for sharing this with us. This doesn't seem very fair at all! Welcome to the community and please do let me know if there is anything else that I can do :)
    Scope

Brightness