Housing help needed- we've waited three years — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing help needed- we've waited three years

Jules_B
Jules_B Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2018 in Housing and independent living

Comments

• Jules_B
    My brother has got severe ME and is trying to relocate nearer to family, as currently he's a 2hr drive away which makes visiting very difficult he has no friends or family where he is living and his depression is getting worse.
    He has been trying to get an exchange for several years now and is silver on the local housing association waiting list for approximately 3 years, is there anything else we can do to assist his application. I made it over to visit a few times last summer but a reduction in income and my own health issues are preventing me from making the journey and my parents now both in their late 70s also find it increasingly difficult. A a result my brother's well-being is in a downward spiral and I feel helpless, any suggestions anyone? 
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @Jules_B Has your brother got a support worker or professionals working with him? When you say an exchange you mean from where he is to your area  and with a different HA or the same HA ?  Has he tried Homeswappers and other mutual exchange avenues?
    I don't know which his HA is but silver band he could be waiting for more years for an exchange. The problem is that many properties are offered first to those classified as homeless or in more need before they get to those on the transfer list.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Jules_B,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having.

Have you considered contacting your local Citizens Advice for some help and support?
    Liam
  • Jules_B
    Thank you Ripples, My brother would be with a different HA if he managed to get a move, he's approximately 100 miles away, he has tried Homeswappers and had one or two genuine enquiries but the properties were in quite isolated rural areas and still quite a distance from family. He doesn't have a support worker, I will make enquiries about his eligibility.  I thought perhaps a longer wait with silver band was inevitable. 
    Thank you Liam I will definitely give CAB a try.
    Would it be appropriate to ask his GP for a statement to forward to HA's in our area, or does that only apply to help people move out of sub standard or inappropriate accommodation?
  • Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @Jules_B A  letter from a GP will always help stating his conditions. You can only get so many points for medical needs but it all helps. Different HA's use different banding for example 1,2,3,4  or  Platinum, Gold, Silver Bronze. You can judge where you are with the band you have.
    I used Homeswappers to move last year so it can work at times but I was also on Facebook groups where you can narrow it down to local groups so that might be an option. Some people have taken the private route but I would never advise anyone to give up a social housing property as these days they are like gold dust.
    Your brother can self refer himself to social services as needing help if he wanted or ask a GP for a referral he would have someone else fighting on his side then.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jules_B, how are you doing? Has there been any progress?

Brightness