Medical notes not accepted — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medical notes not accepted

Options
Mikey44
Mikey44 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
When I had my Assessment the lady (a Nurse) had a full copy of my medical notes but it’s come to pass she didn’t use any of them to judge my Assessment scores,I suffered a Stroke which left me Partially Sighted and also caused my left side to deteriorate and lose my power and strength,I had to learn to walk,write eat all over again, the Assessor was not very helpful but said my sight is 30/32 and by doing so I lost my Higher rate and car,as she said I was walking perfectly and unaided and am capable of walking 200m without issues as I was physically fit,but my problem is I have Haemochromatosis which is a Blood Disorder which means I produce to much Iron in my blood,which causes Exhaustion,Weakness of my limbs and also causes Liver Damage and in people Cancer of the Liver but the Assessor said because I looked physically fit I’m ok and don’t need the Higher rate,it shows so many problems in this Assessment Procedure Why can’t the DWP see it’s all wrong and Hurtful 
sorry to moan but I’ve had enough of this and I’ve got a year to wait until my Tribunal and my brain can’t take much more of this 
Mike

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry to hear your problems, reading your post it apears you have moved from DLA to PIP. If this is correct then your views and comments regarding your  acessment and what acessors commented are true and factual, as you meet all the descriptors in the PIP acessment that proved you where not eligible for the enhanced rate for mobility dispite your current health and disabilities. As you well know from being a poster on this site and reading many posts DLA and PIP are two totally different benefits the first about your disabilities the latter your abilities.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You might well be eligible for PIP but you have to show that your disabilities meet certain descriptors.  PIP is awarded for how your conditions affect your daily living and mobility, not for the conditions themselves.  Take a look at the list of descriptors on Disability Rights UK.
  • Mikey44
    Options
    No I was never on DLA just one and a half years on PIP and then had Assessment and they took it back to Standard 
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi @Mikey44,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with PIP.

In terms of the tribunal, we have a page on our website about appealing a DWP benefits decision - including tribunals - which may be of interest to you ahead of your hearing.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • Mikey44
    Options
    All notes were submitted well before the Assessment but at the Assessment the lady refused to look at the notes she just said I’ve already looked at the notes and know All your issues,but still had to ask what can I see and worryingly asking Do You STILL drive??? 
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Mikey44

My MIL has Haemochromatosis, had never heard of it until she was really poorly and in hospital over a month a few years back, our sons and cousins were calling her "Nanny Custard" as she was so jaundiced, never seen anyone that colour before, my husband and his brother were tested too, as it can be passed down the line as carriers, but they were both thankfully ok. 

Whatever you decide to do, wishing you luck, sounds an absolute nightmare, so many awful stories from assessment, I am awaiting a date for my F2F still. 

DWP lost my forms for 22 days after signing for them inbound, then told me I hadn't sent them, I sent evidence of tracking details and time, date and signed for, to help them find my stack of forms and evidence. Where they were for 22 days beats me!! 

DWP cyberspace! Filing tray somewhere I guess. 

Fingers crossed if you decide to apoeal! 
    P x
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • Mikey44
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your daughter having Haemochromatosis also it’s hard to manage but I was lucky it was picked up in Ireland where it was explained fully, my doctor in London “never heard of it” 
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    Options
    @Mikey44 we had never heard of it either, it was my Mother in law who has it, only have sons, no daughter's. 

It was a first for us too. Mum in law was terribly ill in hospital, they thought she wouldntw make it, but thankfully they got everything level again. Never seen anyone so jaundiced, her eyes were bright yellow, her scalp, everything, eyes the lot. Scary time for sure! 

It was odd seeing her back to her normal colour after being "Nanny Custard" for so long. 

My father in law joked with the grand children and it stuck!! ?
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.