My son didn't get DLA this time around, but nothing has changed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son didn't get DLA this time around, but nothing has changed

Options
Jan191
Jan191 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My son it 7years old he has been getting dla since he was 3 months old and this time round he didnt get it nothimg has changed

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jan191 and a very warm welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear that! Did you request to see the report? This may help you see why the points weren't awarded. You're able to appeal the decision and information on this can be found here. If you have any other questions then please do not hesitate to be in touch. Many of the community members have been through the appeal process and will be able to offer advice :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,020 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

You have 28 days to ask for the Mandatory reconsideration. As this is a DLA claim for a child then like PIP it's not based on points but how much care and attention a child needs compared to a child of the same age who doesn't have a disability or health condition. Maybe think about getting some help with the MR and Tribunal, if it gets that far. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Jan191,

I'm sorry to hear about this Jan. I agree with Poppy and think the best thing to do is ask for an MR. You need to talk about what supervision and care your child needs which a child of the same age, without his condition, would not need - just as Poppy explains. Particularly important is how often he needs attention or supervision - if it's very frequent or constant, the rate of DLA should be higher.

You're right to think that if he got it before when he was younger, and he still has the same needs he had at 3 months of age, it doesn't make sense. Your original award must have been based on him needing more care than babies normally do (which is a lot), so if he still needs the same amount of attention, he really should be entitled.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Jan191,

PS unfortunately your son's DLA stopping could affect other benefits you receive. It's difficult to give specific advice without knowing if you're getting other benefits & what you're getting, but you may need to let DWP, HMRC & local authority know if you get income-based benefits from any of those sources. 

Ask if you need specific info - Carers UK may be able to help too.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.