How long to receive PIP assessment report copy? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long to receive PIP assessment report copy?

JazCo
JazCo Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
Hi,
I got a text this morning saying the DWP have received my assessment report. I rang to ask for it to be sent out last week and a note was put on the system. I rang today to ask if it had been sent out. I was told not yet but it will be sent out as soon as possible.

I asked how long this will take to get to me and I was told 2-3 weeks from the date I requested it. I asked why would it take that long and I was told it can take 10 days just for the courier part.
Is this true? Is it a case of it depends who you speak to on the phone?
Who prints out the copies and sends them out?

2-3 weeks to print and send a copy out seems like an astonishingly long time.

Thanks

Comments

• JazCo
    UPDATE: I rang back 5 minutes later, asked if it could be sent out today as I got a text it has been received. Maria from Sunderland, said absolutely, I will get it sent out in tonights post and it is sent 2nd class so can take up to 7 working days.

The first person just said will be sent asap and up to 10 days just for postage, so 2-3 weeks? The second person, happy to send today and up to 7 days delivery.

My advice, ring up again if they don't say they will send it today and ASK for them to send it out TODAY.

My guess is it is the call handler who arranges for it to be sent and some of them can't be bothered. You can usually tell by tone of voice whether you're going to get someone happy to help or not.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    All mail going to and from DWP has to go through a mail sorting process with royal mail. How long it takes to send mail out will depend on how quickly it's sorted, the same as when mail goes to them. Very often an adviser will say 2-3 weeks to cover them but of course it's just a guide. If it's sent straight away then you'll most likely receive it within 7 working days. After all, no one knows for sure exactly how long it takes. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Nicely put poppy, the call handlers do a great job so I am sure they put your, mine and everybody's request for what ever to the right people who should handle our queries. Some call handlers have more exspearance and knowledge than others all in all they do a good job.
  • JazCo
    That makes sense @poppy123456, however, I don't understand how one call handler says it will be sent soon and another 5 minutes later says It will be sent out tonight.

@wilko
    You can tell when then pick up the call by their tone of voice if they are going to be helpful - I don't think they do all do a good job. Not compared to other call centres. I have had people pick up the phone, yawn and have the worst tone and attitude before I have even spoken to them - and they are customer service at the end of the day, yet some of them talk to you like the last thing they want to do is help you.
    And this isn't coming from a place of superiority, I would get reprimanded from my bosses in the past if I spoke to people on the phone the way they have spoken to me for no reason. And deservedly so. 

In terms of compitence, the DWP has been some of the worst trained people I have ever come across - this may be their own negligence or it may be a problem from above not giving them the right training, but at least half a dozen times I have been let down for mistakes and mis-information given on their part that has lead me to having no money for food, bills or rent when pregnant over christmas.

Again, if I told someone I would do something, and didn't - especially someone in a vulnerable situation (as I have worked as an admin for vulnerable people before) I would get a warning at the very least, as I should. 

If you have only had positive experiences from DWP call handlers, I am happy for you, but for me, 70% of my calls have led to mistakes that have been detrimental to me or I have been faced with someone who has spoken to me horribly with no compassion or care for trying to help me.
    This isn't everyone, 30% of the people have been thorough, lovely and willing to help as much as they can. But I think it's extremely inaccurate to say that DWP call handlers, on the whole, do a great job.

• wilko
    That my personal experience from calling many call centers DWP and many high end centers always helpful it's generally the back room staff that lets the company down not doing what the customer has asked or requested.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    JazCo said:
    .My guess is it is the call handler who arranges for it to be sent and some of them can't be bothered. You can usually tell by tone of voice whether you're going to get someone happy to help or not.
    Yep that about sums up the quality of staff that are employed.
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    JazCo said:
    That makes sense @poppy123456, however, I don't understand how one call handler says it will be sent soon and another 5 minutes later says It will be sent out tonight.

@wilko
    You can tell when then pick up the call by their tone of voice if they are going to be helpful - I don't think they do all do a good job. Not compared to other call centres. I have had people pick up the phone, yawn and have the worst tone and attitude before I have even spoken to them - and they are customer service at the end of the day, yet some of them talk to you like the last thing they want to do is help you.
    And this isn't coming from a place of superiority, I would get reprimanded from my bosses in the past if I spoke to people on the phone the way they have spoken to me for no reason. And deservedly so. 

In terms of compitence, the DWP has been some of the worst trained people I have ever come across - this may be their own negligence or it may be a problem from above not giving them the right training, but at least half a dozen times I have been let down for mistakes and mis-information given on their part that has lead me to having no money for food, bills or rent when pregnant over christmas.

Again, if I told someone I would do something, and didn't - especially someone in a vulnerable situation (as I have worked as an admin for vulnerable people before) I would get a warning at the very least, as I should. 

If you have only had positive experiences from DWP call handlers, I am happy for you, but for me, 70% of my calls have led to mistakes that have been detrimental to me or I have been faced with someone who has spoken to me horribly with no compassion or care for trying to help me.
    This isn't everyone, 30% of the people have been thorough, lovely and willing to help as much as they can. But I think it's extremely inaccurate to say that DWP call handlers, on the whole, do a great job.

I telephoned the ESA department years ago simply to ask what I should do as I failed the assessment. It ended up with the call handler saying she had no idea and to hold the line. She then came back and told me that she had asked her colleagues and majority had said …………..
    So getting any part decent answer out of them is done by a straw poll!!
  • wilko
    How many calls do the average call handler takes a day? And then they are asked numerous questions about things unrelated to the benefit you or I are claiming. Recently my rubbish bin hadn’t been emptied so rang he council department that delt with it, the lady took my details checked the collection had been done then said. Leave till four they have a while yet to finish, I don’t know what to say. I replied you could offer to come and collect it yourself you must have a car with a big boot. Ono I couldn’t do that. Anyway they colletrd it the next day. The lady delt only with rubbish collection yet was of very little help. 
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    wilko said:
    How many calls do the average call handler takes a day? And then they are asked numerous questions about things unrelated to the benefit you or I are claiming. Recently my rubbish bin hadn’t been emptied so rang he council department that delt with it, the lady took my details checked the collection had been done then said. Leave till four they have a while yet to finish, I don’t know what to say. I replied you could offer to come and collect it yourself you must have a car with a big boot. Ono I couldn’t do that. Anyway they colletrd it the next day. The lady delt only with rubbish collection yet was of very little help. 
    It shouldn't make a scrap of difference how many calls they get. If they decide to offer advice they do so on behalf of their employer the DWP. If they don't know the answer then they should have the responsibility to direct the call to someone that would know the answer - simple.

As a further bit of info the advice given was to claim JSA instead which I did. Unfortunately when I went to the Jobcentre they were amazed that I was there. Their advice was to appeal against the ESA decision and in those days you would go back onto the appeal rate of ESA. The Jobcentre woman actually tore up the JSA claim that I had made.
    So much for a straw poll of best advice given.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.