Work won't agree reasonable adjustment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work won't agree reasonable adjustment

Options
DebOB69
DebOB69 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2018 in Work and employment
Just joined no problem not sure what others had problems with but hello to u all I have ADHD been off work for 10 months officially back for 4 months and they still won't agree reasonable adjustments ?

Comments

• Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there. Welcome. 

I can't advise, but sure some other lovely member will be along to help answer your query. XX P 
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @DebOB69
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I don't know what advice to give you too, but as @Mumof2ds said, a member will be in contact soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @DebOB69 and a very warm welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear about this. Have you been in touch with Access to Work? They may be able to help. Also, I will move your discussion into the employment section and hope this sparks discussion. Is there any reasonable adjustment that you had in mind?
    Scope

• Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @DebOB69 how are you doing? I was wondering what your job role is? And what reasonable adjustments were you looking for?

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Options
    have they given a reason?
  • DebOB69
    Options
    Had A2W in twice adhd foundation recommend own room and they won't do it.  They are a large multi site Corp. and I'm in admin.  The reasons they give don't make sense and they keep putting barriers in the way of my proposals boo hiss!
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @DebOB69, are you in a union? If so perhaps they can help.

• DebOB69
    Options
    Hi I am in the union but not making a difference so far ?
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @DebOB69, if you’v just spoken to your local union rep I’d be asking for the senior rep, my brain is not working sorry, the title escapes me right now.
    If your not happy with the support etc from your rep then you need to call the support centre to ask for a more senior rep.

i hope you get this sorted because you do have rights 
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Options
    What are their reasons? 
    Are there any other ways that could help?
  • DebOB69
    Options
    Manager is stubborn and basic ally doesn't take me or adhd seriously
  • DebOB69
    Options
    Manager says she doesn't talk to cos sheccant get a word in edge ways (quote) and adhd just gives me a perception of being busy when in fact someone on my grade should  be able to cope with much more! Took 16 jobs off me but I only asked for 2 and the 2 I asked for she wont change.and said if she did my grade (pay) would be jeopodised which isn't true it's only cos she took the other stuff off me.  I just need a place alone to work and id cope with it all but she sees that as me winning so won't union are putting on the pressure hence me being off for 4 months on full pay but they won't give and I can't cos it made me suicidal.  I worked for 10 years in my own room with no problems but putting me in with a team made me very ill over years and my manager has inflamed it all. Cshe wanted to send me to a doctor cos I'm loud but I have ADHD the other women is loud too but not disabled but she likes her cos she kissed her **** but I can only be honest and true and she sees that as a challenge head of HR is just as bad told me she was disabled too and if she needed a room she wouldn't get one... she already has one cos she is head of HR!! Losing the will to carry on but no choice thanks all for listening ☺
  • RSISolutions
    RSISolutions Community member Posts: 128 Courageous
    edited August 2018
    Options

I am very sorry to hear about your fustrations. 

I would urge you to put your requests for reasonable adjustments in your own words in writing. There are several templates for doing this. This one is from the equality and human rights

https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/app/answers/list/session/L3RpbWUvMTUzNTcwMDMzNC9zaWQvaVdLc0tBVm4%3D

The template is called ‘TEMPLATE LETTER WORK Request to make Reasonable Adjustment’. There is also a lot of other information on this website that will be useful.

Here is another similar form from the Business Disability Forum.

https://members.businessdisabilityforum.org.uk/media_manager/public/86/Resources/Reasonable%20adjustment%20decision%20process%20and%20form.docx

Once you have submitted your requests for reasonable adjustments in writing then I would typically give an employer two weeks to consider them and respond. If the response is not satisfactory then you should raise grievances. The grievances should be written with short paragraphs and each paragraph should be numbered so that you can reference it easier in the future. google this. 

You have three months less one day to take your employers to an employment tribunal for failure to implement the reasonable adjustments submitted in the grievances. I would  allow a month to find a lawyer and to prepare the paperwork.

I would also like to point out that by law you are not solely responsible for coming up with solutions to keep you at work. You should not be relied on as the expert.

An example of this is a person suddenly become blind as an adult. Are they now the expert in reasonable adjustments at work for blind people? How would they know? This is not their job. This is the job of HR, or if at least they don’t know they should consult somebody like The Business Disability Forum for some guidance. The law says that the onus is ultimately on the employer to find out what reasonable adjustments should be implemented to keep you at work, but your input of course is invaluable as well.

If you have not been at work because your employer is failing to implement reasonable adjustments, then are you really sick? In my mind the Certificate of Fitness for Work should state that you are fit for work with reasonable adjustments. If you can get the GP to state what these reasonable adjustments are then that would be even better. But typically they are reluctant to do this. Therefore your employer should send you to see an occupational health Doctor who can state which reasonable adjustments will enable you to continue to work. You can then show this to your doctor and ask them to write a Certificate of Fitness for Work and referring to the reasonable adjustments in the occupational health letter.

If your employer won’t pay for you to go to see an occupational health Doctor then it might an idea for you to pay yourself or ask the GP to pay. otherwise fit for work might be able to help

https://fitforwork.org/referrals-fit-work/

This is a complicated matter however because failure to implement reasonable adjustments can also cause a lot of stress, and one can be off with stress. But it can be very useful to have your Certificate of Fitness for Work to state that you are actually fit for work with reasonable adjustments. Otherwise a certificate stating that you are not fit for work may work against you if you ever take this to an employment tribunal. 

If you’re off with stress, make sure that the doctors certificate of fitness for work states that you are off with stress for failure to implement reasonable adjustments. Failing that, at least off with work-related stress

As part of your requests for reasonable adjustments, you could ask for your manager and HR to be trained for disability confidence. You could also ask for the training for yourself so that you can become a better advocate for yourself. So that you can calmly explain what you want, and why you are entitled to it.

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/training/disability-confidence-training

Also consider speaking to ACAS 

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1697

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @DebOB69,

Sorry to hear about the problems you have been having with work. We have a section of our website dedicated to reasonable adjustments at work which might be of interest to you, including a page about what you can do if your employer rejects reasonable adjustments.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • DebOB69
    Options
    HI everyone

I don't know if I'm replying properly sorry, not good at this tech stuff lol, but the suggestions are fantastic and it's fab to feel supported so thanks everyone.  I will be putting in a grievance with regard to this!

Deb

Brightness