I won PIP in 2017 and have now received a letter for a face-to-face consultation. Is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I won PIP in 2017 and have now received a letter for a face-to-face consultation. Is this normal?

777 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi i just wanted some adice please. I won my PIP award in May 2017 and the judge awarded me this until May 2019. I have today recieved a letter from DWP to have a face to face consultation in September about my condition. Can i just ask if this is normal as with my mental health issues it has knocked me for six and I'm not doing to good.

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @777,

Welcome to Scope's online community!

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with PIP. I've found some useful information about PIP reviews on the Turn2Us website which you may find useful. It says:

"Your award of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) may be reviewed by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) at any time, even if you have an award for a fixed amount of time. The DWP will usually start to review your claim one year before your award ends.

When the DWP reviews your claim, they send you a letter with a PIP review form. The DWP gives you 4 weeks to fill in the form and send it back. Ask the DWP for more time if you need it. You will need to phone them and tell them why you need more time."

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please do let us know!

Liam
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    PIP is reviewed 1 year before your award is due to end. In May of this year you should have received a AR1 review form to fill in and return along with all of your evidence, did you receive this? Once this is returned your file would have been sent to the assessment providers, they will then contact you for another face 2 face assessment as they have done now. You will need to attend this assessment otherwise your PIP will stop. If a decision goes in your favour then you'll have a new award date. If it doesn't then your money will stop 4 weeks after the decision is made. Do you have someone that can go with you to the assessment? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    Thank you LiamO_Dell this is very helpful.
    Hi poppy123456 thank you yes I did have form sent & I sent back...I dnt really have anyone to go with at the moment.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Most people have face 2 face assessments, even for a review. You can cancel the appointment and re-arrange it but you can only do this once. The assessment will be the same as the first time you had one. Do you have a friend that can go with you? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Smileygotwell
    Smileygotwell Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Hi @777, hopefully you've come to the right place (though probably not from me) so I wish you all the best.
  • Smileygotwell
    Smileygotwell Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Sorry @777, that sounds wrong; definitely nothing against you (!) More a case of me not being very well versed in 'what do do' suggestions but you never know. Anyway, all the best.
    Thank you Smileygotwell just for answering.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately this is something that you are going to have to get used to. PIP was brought out with this intention - regular re-assessments.

I found with my second and third face to face assessments that it is all down to the luck of the draw as to if you get a good or poor assessor.
    Just be yourself and don't worry, the worst that they can do is tell the DWP that you have no medical or mental health issues.
    My attitude for the 2nd & 3rd  was that I honestly didn't care what they did or wrote about given what they did in my first assessment. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.