Help for our adopted son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help for our adopted son

Options
leebrazier
leebrazier Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all. My wife and I have a 7 year old adopted son who has been diagnosed with hyper vigilance and attachment disorder. Does anyone know if he would be entitled to an allowance based on this?

thanks. 

lee. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

For a child under the age of 16 years to qualify for DLA, they must meet all of the following criteria:

• they must need care, attention or supervision because of a physical or mental disability or health condition (and your child does not need to have an actual diagnosis)
    • they must have needed this care, attention or supervision for at least three months, and be likely to need this care, attention or supervision for a further six months (you can make the claim before the three months have passed, but you will not receive any payment until they have)
    • they must need substantially more care, attention or supervision than other children of the same age who do not have a disability or health condition. Evidence will be needed. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leebrazier
    leebrazier Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Thank you poppy123456

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.