How do you deal with stress? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do you deal with stress?

JEL
JEL Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi guys just wanted to ask you all how you deal/cope with stress? 

Comments

• KatBeerling
    KatBeerling Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    I like listening to thunderstorms and rain! I have a couple on CD and when it gets too much I put them on in a dark room! They play almost constantly at the mo!@ 

Kat x
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    I tune out/dissociate. It's a coping mechanism CPTSD gave me.
  • Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    I listen to music, or try and read, or failing that have a good cry and talk to a friend who also has mental health or my hubby if he is about, have a hug, and talk. X 

I had counselling for six weeks, sadly that's finished, it was self referral via a local mental health charity, brilliant service, used them before. XX saved me twice now. X
    Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • Mumof2ds
    I listen to music, or try and read, do my breathing exercises from my physiotherapist, and talk to friends who also suffer anxiety and depression or if my husband or sons are about have a hug. Always helps the most. 

I had counselling and ptevioupre CBT sessions via local mental health charity services. They helped me so much and saved me twice. Self referral service and assessment. Brilliant charity. Think Action here in Kent, and Surrey. X 
  • Mumof2ds
    ptevioupre should somehow read previously!! ?
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @JEL Stress is the body's inability to deal with every day situations.

Such as being in places that are not familiar to you. Shops, crowds.  Being part of a new social group. Could be a fear of something. Like going out.  Having and being made to confront those aspects of life. We all struggle with. Relationships, money, benefits. Applying for a loan.  Disability, illness.

Dealing with a personal problem or issues.  Having a debt. Others may be death of a close friend or partner.  

Having a house move. Going for a new job or leaving. Serving a prison sentence.  Christmas and holidays.

There is many others and it all depends what scale the stress is. There is a stress ratings list. I have included most of them.

Understand this all began in ancient times.  Due to the fear or flight inability bodies reaction to survival.

Long held fears we had in those times to fight and live.

How to deal with stress can be useful for the body to experience stress. How to cope and it is how you react.

Stress relievers are Eat regular meals and healthy ones.

Avoid excessive amounts of alcohol, caffeine, avoid smoking.

Take some form of exercise, relaxation techniques..  Yoga, deep breathing, meditation.  Music.

Always try to face up to your problems seek help and advice.

Identify what causes you stress. Make a diary and recognise your weakness and your strengths.

Have a pet.  It might help, stroking and caring for an animal can alleviate stress.

I have a stress problem and learnt to deal with it. Done courses and hence the information.  Plus qualifications. All to my credit can identify what is troubling me.

Had this morning and last night itching, rash all signs am stressed.  Other ones are fidgeting,, restless. Tiredness. missing meals, do find it hard to talk to people.  In person. Yet can do this.  Does help.  Being on here.

Try to eat lunch.  If I can. Have anxiety and in turn cause stress. So I know need to do something. About it.

Other symptoms you may have  are main ones unable to cope, close to tears, shouting a people, hard to think, speak.

Body's symptoms are neck pain, headaches, lower back pain, teeth grinding, lump in the throat, body shakes, tremors etc.  Have any sweats, insomnia, heart palpitations.  Consider doing something about it.  Speaking to a Doctor.

Learnt to seek certain foods helps. So always have Wholemeal Bread, Eggs my nuts.  Walnuts. Like Peanut Butter Sandwich helps.   Drink loads of water. Have a hot water from the kettle helps first thing morning.

Have other food essentials in all helps me. Personal to me. I would advise always seek help regarding stress.

Use a lot of meditation and have a quiet time before bed. About an hour. Listen to music. Usually Classic FM.

Exercise stretched morning use Tai Chi movements if have to. Do house work often helps. Sweep the floor. Have a vinyl floor.  With a range of music on.

Hope that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a really odd way to cope with stress at the moment...wedding planning!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • debbiedo49
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    i take my dog for a walk!
  • debbiedo49
    Laugh with my son
  • eden
    eden Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Get my mp3 player and listen to the songs good way to get out off the world for a time 

Brightness