Letter came today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Letter came today

lozzer25
lozzer25 Community member Posts: 89 Courageous
The letter came today I had set myself up to be declined but opening the letter I had a shock I've actually been awarded it I am happy about the outcome but I also feel guilty as if I'm taking it off somebody who needs it more does anybody else ever feel this?

Comments

• Ripples
    Ripples Community member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    @lozzer25 I'm pleased for you
  • lozzer25
    Thank you ripples:)
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    Well done. I am sure it will take away a lot of your money worries, so don't go replacing them with other worries. I am sure you deserve it or you wouldn't be awarded it.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    Rosie2017 said:
    Great news and don't feel guilty, you would never have been awarded it if you didn't need it. The only people who should guilty are the PIP assessors and the DWP for the way they treat people. 
    Needing the award is not in any way linked to being awarded it. 
    You are awarded it only because the impact on your life and the descriptors that were chosen makes it so.
    Many claimants don't need the award, they claim it because they believe that they are entitled to it.
    Some do need it and for all intents and purposes are never awarded it due mainly to their inability to complete the claim form correctly, deal with the assessment in a proper manner and produce relevant evidence.
    Some, and I know one, who saves up their award in order to splash out on an expensive annual cruise for two in the West Indies.
  • lozzer25
    Thank you for your comments :) I had a really lovely assessor she was an occupational therapist I hope people start to receive positive news rather than negative people who really deserve it and aren't entitled to it or are getting their award reduced is ridiculous and it's not fair 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    lozzer25 said:
    Thank you for your comments :) I had a really lovely assessor she was an occupational therapist I hope people start to receive positive news rather than negative people who really deserve it and aren't entitled to it or are getting their award reduced is ridiculous and it's not fair 
    There will always be those that are genuinely entitled to PIP yet for one reason or another they fail to get any award or the right award.
    Consequently there will always be negative posts.

Fairness does not come into it. You could say is it fair that the assessor and the Decision Maker have to put up with poorly constructed claim forms and non relevant evidence?

You may say that the DWP should see beyond that when making a decision. They won't because that is not their job. It is not for the assessor or the DWP to make the case for you if you haven't made it for yourself.
  • lozzer25
    Fair point well made 
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    At times people are very unlucky and do not get a fair assessment but this does not mean we should not be happy when others are assessed rightly. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.