My PIP experience - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My PIP experience

Options
2»

Comments

• diesel58
    diesel58 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    That's ok after we she lost her mobility and the car that helps us in the countryside we will be stuck at home, yes you can get 2k but it won't buy transport we need to get a large electric wheelchair into, it's easy to say if you have not lost it but to us it's a damage to our independence
  • N_J_12345
    N_J_12345 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    I agree that’s what’s the form was for and that’s what I put in the form but when your in the consultation room they jump from one question then onto another so it’s hard to spend 5 minutes telling them the ins and outs of how walking affects you... I understand it’s not the end of the world losing the motability car as you get a transition payment but as diesel58 says it is definitely damaging to our independence.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Options
    I’m not saying it isn’t a loss at all - I meant that you shouldn’t concentrate on that for the appeal because that’s not what will win it for you. I was also making you aware that there are some options, although I understand they’re not what you want. 

I had higher rate DLA in the past and used it to buy a car because I was worried about losing it on review. It was the right thing to do for me, 2k is enough to buy a car, although of course not as good as what you could have through motability. It’s not the best option for everyone, but now I no longer have higher rate I’m glad. Incidentally, although I now pay for services for my car (bought after my original one) and road tax at 50% it actually works out cheaper than motability and my car is new. So there are some options out there.

This isn’t the end of the road, you can appeal. But you need to take into account the car - if you keep it you won’t get the transistuon payment.

Im not downplaying it, it’s ****. I’m really glad I didn’t reapply for dla originally although I was entitled to as it was just as pip was coming in. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'd advise people, if they are able to, to buy their own car not lease a motability one.  Because if they lose enhanced mobility at least they'll keep their car.  On transfer to PIP from DLA my mobility was reduced to standard - but my car was my own.  On appeal I was awarded enhanced mobility, like many, but with my own car there was no gap period until I won my appeal.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.