Help with osteoarthirits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with osteoarthirits

amethyst
amethyst Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I wish to know if others have had regular screening yearly for ostreoarthritis....I am disabled with several other conditions and have been managing coming off all meds except paracetamol for pain....some of my problems is connected to iron intake but cannot purchase the iron I need over the counter ....and doctors ...? Well a fortnight so time before a blood test can be done ...but I'm ill now and need help don't know where to go or who to contact about this

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @amethyst, welcome to the community! It's great to have you here.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Others are welcome to share their experiences, but please bear in mind that we're not medical professionals- if you have concerns about your health, it's always best to speak to somebody involved in your care.

You mentioned not being able to purchase iron over the counter, have you spoken to you GP about potentially being prescribed this?
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Welcome Neville Pearson
  • muttley
    muttley Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Hi amethyst I too need to take iron have you tried spartone? It's available in supermarkets for around 6pnd it works for me so you could give it a go I also suffer with osteoarthritis  and an added bonus of vertigo so can sympathise 
  • painter
    painter Community member Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Waiting for months for steroid Injections and my GP suggested trying turmeric, ginger and black pepper capsules.  In great deal of pain due to the osteoarthritis in thumb joints so bought a tub.  To be honest sceptical, not a great believer in complementary medicines.  Started pills early July, within 3 wks pain had reduced enormously, appt for injections arrived for middle of August, cancelled the appointment.  I am continuing to take the pills, discussed with GP and she recommends to continue with them.  The pain hasn't completely disappeared but the inflammation and swollen joints have greatly reduced.  If I can manage the pain without resorting to Injections i shall definitely continue with them.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    i am aneamic and take spatone. it is a mineral water that you can get from superdrug, boots and lots of healthfood shops. it comes in sachets that you mix with fruit juice.
  • painter
    painter Community member Posts: 52 Pioneering
    Hello Amethyst i have just re read your post.  I am not sure about yearly assessments for osteoarthritis.  I think a blood test can tell if you have rheumatoid arthritis but not sure about osteoarthritis.  My osteo is normally dealt with by my GP and ultrasound injections at the hospital, and even those you have to fight for these days!!  I was put on Naproxen at one time which really helped but unfortunately due to my cardiac probs and medications i ended up in hospital with acute kidney failure as Naproxen and Candesartan do not mix!!!
    Its hard coming off the meds i know.  Hope your GP can help.
  • muttley
    muttley Community member Posts: 11 Listener
    Blood tests are done purely for rheumatoid arthritis osteo doesn't show they sometimes do a blood test to check that rheumatoid isn't lurking in the body Mri and or xrays are the ones to show up osteo I still suggest you give spartone a go 
  • jade54
    jade54 Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    I'm a osteoarthritis suffered myself. Knees thumb and lower back.
    My left knee is a replacement. Hoping to get right one replaced.
    I've use acupuncture in the past helps with the pain. 
    I would advice see your doctors. Some do refer for alternative therapy. Good luck.

Brightness