Do I need to pay for my carers to come on holiday? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I need to pay for my carers to come on holiday?

wheelybabe
wheelybabe Community member Posts: 13 Connected
 I have an issue  as a disabled person, I wish to go on cruse I would need 2 carers  would I need to pay for them? Shoreley that isn’t fair?  So only the government should be paying?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 90 Listener
    ummmm nooooooo it is you who wants a holiday>>>>
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Hi, I think some companies may let you bring one carer but not sure.

depending on your age and diagnosis there may be specific charities who can help with this?

the other thing to bear in mind is travel insurance - it can cost a lot if you have disabilities and it’s a must for a cruise. Often you’ll be turned down completely if things are too complex (I can’t get cover for a cruise).

not sure what your comment about the government means, I’m almost certain there isn’t funding from the government for this. It’s hard enough to get free personal care.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wheelybabe, some organisations offer free or discounted carers- I'd definitely talk to a travel agent or have a look at the link provided by @pin!
  • LittleGizmo86
    LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
     I have an issue  as a disabled person, I wish to go on cruse I would need 2 carers  would I need to pay for them? Shoreley that isn’t fair?  So only the government should be paying?
    @wheelybabe

Im not really sure why you think the government should pay for 2 carers to come on a cruise with you?!

There could possibly be some charities who will help towards it but it wont be easy. It is ultimately your reaponsibilty to pay for them.
  • wheelybabe
    wheelybabe Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Okay well I am not a freeloader,  unfortunately I have a  rare disability called Friedrichs ataxia, I meant that I believe the government should pay  you to the fact it’s not my fault that I need am unable  to travel alone. Thank u
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    When you reach a certain age, you will be called 'older adult'.  Social service will re-assess your needs.   Maximum care needs cost allowed has dropped on the birthday. 

Overnight, you suddenly don't 'require' to leave the house. You don't 'need' social contact, participation in normal life in any way, or even to get a change of scene by going to choose your own shopping.

Once a week, perhaps, a 'carer' will be given 30 minutes to do that.  Once a day, perhaps, a 'carer' will be given 15 minutes to attend to your personal care and feeding, morning and night.

You might, then,  feel surprised if the girl next door gets a grant from the same council budget to cover the cost of two cruise tickets.   You might, even, be surprised if she goes on a round the world first class flight, starting with a week in a Park Lane or Mayfair hotel,  buying two extra spaces everywhere she goes, and charging it to your council.  

As you contemplate spending the rest of your life just staring at your bedroom wall, would that girl convince you about her sense of entitlement to take as much as she wants, from  that council budget?

Brightness