Waiting over 5 years for an assessment! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Waiting over 5 years for an assessment!

TinaThomas409
TinaThomas409 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a husband, nearly 91.. waiting over 5 years for an assessment! no help. despite going thru cancer and treatment myself,, Due to go into hospital, for operation, asked Social Services several months ago, for support,, still waiting,, (my husband has dementia)

Comments

• o5jessica
    o5jessica Community member Posts: 42 Connected
    I have a husband, nearly 91.. waiting over 5 years for an assessment! no help. despite going thru cancer and treatment myself,, Due to go into hospital, for operation, asked Social Services several months ago, for support,, still waiting,, (my husband has dementia)
    Thhat no good what wrong the system I'm going through everything yet I'm can't find advocate or support in medical or process I need
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TinaThomas409
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what you and your husband are going through, I wish I knew what advice to give you but unfortunately I have no knowledge at the moment in that area. However, I'm sure another member of the community will be able to help you and will be in contact soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TinaThomas409 and a very warm welcome to the community! I am so sorry to hear about your situation- it sounds very hard indeed! Is this a social services assessment that you are waiting for? I really hope this gets sorted soon!
    Scope

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Social Services across the country is a disaster zone.
    A colleague last week encountered a vulnerable young lad who said he was frightened to go home.
    Rang the police - took 5 hours to come and collect him.
    Rang SS team - no one answered the phone.

In some places the system has ground to a halt. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @TinaThomas409, I'm so sorry to hear this- that's an appalling wait time and I can only imagine how difficult it's been on you both.

Given your circumstances, I wonder if it would be helpful to speak to one of our helpline team? You can reach them by calling 0808 800 3333, or find other ways to get in touch here. Alternatively, it might be worth speaking to your local CAB to see if they can assist- they have information on complaining about social care here, and you can find your local CAB on their homepage.

I really hope the situation is resolved soon- please do keep us updated.

Brightness