Holiday on my own? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Holiday on my own?

easy
easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
Hi all. My name is Annette but computer wouldn't let me have that,  so you may call me easy as it is easy to remember. I had a brain tumour 30 years and am now disabled and have lost my balance.
 My husband, who I relied on, passed away in April and I now find myself alone. I have 2 children who have flown the nest but are good to me. They come to see me and do jobs for me and take me out. It's not the same though.
 Does anybody know what I can do with my time? How would I go about going on Holiday on my own. Who are a good company to go with that would look after you. I can walk with my 3 wheeler but not very far.
     Thanks     [in anticipation] 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @easy
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear you've had a tough time and your husband passing :( I don't have any knowledge regarding holidays but I'm sure another member of the community will be in contact with you soon to offer their advice. Have you considered joining a club in your local area?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @easy   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry what has happened.  In answer to your question. I would have a look on line.  For holidays.   I know there are companies out on line. Type in Holidays for disabled and there are all sorts.

Understand and know I have done this recently.  For a community member who is a friend.  I would consider very carefully going on your own.  My opinion.  It is a dangerous world out there.  Thinking of your safety.

Have you also considered may I ask speaking to AGE UK. I know they offer a range of services and information. You know you are young at heart but I have contacted them myself. Also very helpful. I am early fifties, yet I thought accept members sixty. No apparently not so. Depends on area.

Also one other suggestion. Do volunteering. That is an idea could meet other people like yourself.

Have a look on line, council websites. Often councils have volunteer bureaus that set up by council offer a range of volunteer roles.

When we talk about volunteering could be anything like what ever you wish. They all often matched up to what you can able to do.  Life experiences, knowledge.  Have a look.

Speak to SCOPE helpline. Always needed volunteers .Shops and other roles.

0808 800 3333.

Hope that helps.

Take care. Pleasure to meet you

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • easy
    Hi  Thank you Ami and spiceman.
    I shall look on line and see what I can find.
    I am not sure that I would go on my own in the end- I always imagine I am braver than I actually am. Best to think positive. Lots of people do holiday by themselves so we shall see. I would make sure I went with a good company. Thank you for your concern. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @easy thank you for post and kind words.

We are here if you need or wish to ask about anything. 

I am sure there are members of our community will advise you on holidays and travel.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @easy and I am so sorry for your loss.

Age UK have some great suggestions around travel that you might like to have a look at :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    Hi @easy so sorry to hear about your loss xxxx i went away about three years ago on my own first time ever after lossing my son went to colchester  for few days for remembrance sunday book up in a hotel  you are more safe in a hotel , your room can be on ground floor but you must say thats what you would like as can not go up stairs  , people talk to you , had a nice time even on my own  xx
  • Sue_Atkinson_1209
    Sue_Atkinson_1209 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi @easy. Sorry to hear about your situation and sad loss, I know I'd be totally lost without my husband! I would say that Hotels which have grounds would be an idea where there're other guests around for company and help. Cruises as well since there's always someone around if that's within budget. Another would be coach tours? I'm not sure what is out there but all options would give you company and help available if you needed it :-). Good luck and happy holidays when you find something.
  • easy
    Thank you Topshoes and Sue for your suggestions.
    I have decided to have a good look around and find a short break to start me off. Many people holiday alone and have a good time so I do not see why I shouldn't.
    It is mainly the idea of going on my own that I find a bit daunting, but I am told once you have done it once you will enjoy it so become more confident.
    So I must start looking! and stop going back into myself!    Thanks.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Do let us know how you get on, @easy!
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    I've happily set off, nothing booked, with only a walking frame or crutches for company.  It just makes more of an adventure.  As you say, plenty do, and once you try you will love it.  You are not 100 per cent safe in your own high street, but when away, alone, you will be more alert, so possibly safer. 

E.g. a friend strolls round with a handbag, but would be safer hiding things around her person, with maybe a small sum in local currency and a uk fiver, perhaps, left in her pocket for eyes to watch, as she pays for things, so a pickpocket thinks there is something, but not much worth stealing.

There was, maybe still is, a site called lonely planet.  No doubt other sites have handy hints.

For company and interest, I would choose a backpack hostel, where available, rather than a hotel.   In fact, if I could, I would live in one, esp in Australia or Germany.  

You turn being alone into an asset, because you are no threat to anyone, so everyone will talk to you. I've been invited to stay in people's homes.  I just don't think people would treat a couple the same way.

However as you say, and as others suggest, maybe one modest step at a time!

By the way, I went on a cruise (with a partner at the time) which was not disabled friendly, nor friendly.  They had a horrid system of ordering you to go to the dining room,  eat what you are told, when you are told, and at the table you are told, with no hope of changing the company, for the entire 'prison sentence' of the cruise. 

There was a help yourself buffet, daytime and poolside, which was much better, so you could choose what you want when you want, but you had to fight to carry your plate with crutches on a moving ship,  in the virtually non existent hope of a  poolside chair to eat. Plus, the ship lift only went to the dining room. Cripples were unwelcome at the pool, as made clear by the fact they had to climb a long ladder to get there.

Brightness