Pip/ESA review dates - brexit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip/ESA review dates - brexit

clarabelle
clarabelle Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
Hello
I'm currently at review stage for pip.  
I made a subject access request and paperwork indicates a review date of Nov 2020. 
My first award was for 4 years and my condition has deteriorated, so a short review date is illogical. 

As brexit withdrawal is set for Dec 2020, I'm wondering if the dwp are setting all review/new claims to coincide? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    No, that wouldn't be the reason and has nothing to do with it. People get different award dates all the time. People on here have had award dates extending past 2020. Reviews take place 1 year before the award is due to end for PIP. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    They can review any time they like, actually. Unfair, but there it is.
  • poppy123456
    With ESA they can and do yes, but for PIP reviews are 1 year before the award ends.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @clarabelle

Did you inform DWP of a deterioration?  If so, this would have triggered a review.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Waylay said:
    They can review any time they like, actually. Unfair, but there it is.
    Yes I agree they can but there doesn't seem to be anything logical in the length that is awarded.

I cannot find any government publication that gives the criteria as to the length of award.

I have read of cases where the award was for 2 years and when the claimant complained it went up to 10 years. Then I have seen cases where with all the will in the world the impact will never disappear or become reduced yet awards given vary between 2 years and ongoing!

If the DWP are quick enough due to a complaint to increase an award by 8 years it makes a mockery of the original decision.
    Besides which I thought the length was also determined by the condition.

It's a good job that the courts have sentencing guidelines as without them and if the DWP were in charge you would be seeing shoplifters given life sentences for a first offence and murderers a community service order!
  • clarabelle
    There are guidelines and criteria - ,I'll find the link and post it.  It's a result of the select committee inquiry. 

Re award dates and brexit,,my advocates are saying they are increasingly seeing 11/20  and are compiling stats...
  • clarabelle
    @Matilda

Yes,,I did inform them of further diagnosis,,but was my review date anyway and there has been no improvement in functioning. They had all the med evidence with the review form.  Needless to say they didn't follow the guidance in the manual, referred it to atos,,who again ignored the guidance ( and the med evidence ).... a sar request shows atos have recomnended a reduction in dl but an increase in mobility...  all of t h e original scoring is at upper tribunal.  I'm bored by them to put it mildly
  • clarabelle
    Re above,,sorry no other way to post.. has the links to the assessors guides for both pip and esa for assessment periods criteria. 
  • sarah50
    sarah50 Community member Posts: 119 Pioneering
    Hi, what is a subject access request and how do you make one please?
  • poppy123456
    sarah50 said:
    Hi, what is a subject access request and how do you make one please?
    This link will give you all the information you need to request this.

• sarah50
  • sarah50
    Tick managed to do it online, surprisingly easy!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.