I'm getting UC and ESA SG together separately?? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm getting UC and ESA SG together separately??

JazzieJo
JazzieJo Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hello, I need help! 

Moved out of supported accommodation to independent living, forcing me to apply for Universal credit and it has been a mess! I got my statement for my first payment which is due the end of this week. It's a standard living allowance and my housing costs which is fine except my ESA support group hasn't been taken into account. I told my work coach everything at the interview! 

I called UC and they claimed they haven't received any word from ESA (a report). I called ESA, they say my account is still live (my next payment is due next week)  and that UC haven't done anything and needs to send a request for information, that i shouldn't be calling to do that. 

I am at a loss for words. It seems i am going to get UC and ESA SG separately. Both departments have no idea what is going on! I am finished calling them now, i was really upset when i got that statement but now i dont think it matters. 

Any advice for this odd outcome? 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi JazzieJo

I agree this is odd. I don't think they are saying that you will get both benefits though.

The support group equivalent on universal credit is the limited capability for work related activity component and it is £328.32 per month (so more than the ESA support group).

Your entitlement to it should indeed be carried over from ESA support group entitlement that you had already established whilst on ESA. 

(If you are entitled to contributory ESA, then that would be paid separately from your UC, but otherwise, the whole thing should be one UC payment. 

This is so messy and worrying though.

Gill_Scope 
  • JazzieJo
    Hi JazzieJo

I agree this is odd. I don't think they are saying that you will get both benefits though.

The support group equivalent on universal credit is the limited capability for work related activity component and it is £328.32 per month (so more than the ESA support group).

Your entitlement to it should indeed be carried over from ESA support group entitlement that you had already established whilst on ESA. 

(If you are entitled to contributory ESA, then that would be paid separately from your UC, but otherwise, the whole thing should be one UC payment. 

This is so messy and worrying though.

Gill_Scope 
    Hi,  thanks for your time! 
    Yes it's contribution ESA 
    Do you think I'd get it separately then? 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Yes, because you are entitled to contributory ESA on an ongoing basis whilst you are unable to work and provided you stay in the support group.  

The UC tops this up in a similar (but different) way that income-related ESA used to top up contributory ESA.

UC replaces almost all the old ("legacy") income-related benefits. which are income support, income-based JSA, income-related ESA, two kinds of tax credits and housing benefit.

Gill_Scope

• JazzieJo
    I called today and I'm not contribution based, I'm income based. :(
    My account is still live but ESA say they are waiting for UC to confirm that I have a claim with them. I should still get paid next week but nothing is certain. It's really frustrating!! 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    As you had to change to UC and your ESA was Income related then of course this will move across too. DWP should honour your Support Group ESA award and place you in the relevant group for UC which is LCWRA but they don't always do this. Once UC have confirmed everything then check your UC online account to make sure they've added the LCWRA element of £328 extra per month. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • JazzieJo
    Does it matter when they paid you last? I got my last ESA payment on the 30th, when I called UC,  the lady said that they are over paying me!! I haven't even got my first payment! I left questions on my journal but my 'work coach' doesn't reply!

I call up, and each person says something different. What they are paying me is less than the rent arrears I have for the 5 week wait and I need to pay rent weekly in advance! So I have no money! 
  • poppy123456
    If they are over paying you then you'll need to repay this from your UC payment. You can check your UC online account at it will tell you what elements you're currently receiving. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • JazzieJo
    So a massive stroke of good luck, blessing or whatever you wanna call it happened today!!! A couple of days ago, while on the phone with ESA, they mentioned that I could be getting the severe disability premium so I accepted and forgot about it.  Today,  I got a text from DWP saying I have been awarded the severe disability prenium and my ESA claim is closed as I moved over to Universal Credit. There was no amount mentioned in the text so I called them up. 

ESA backdated my claim for Severe disability premium to LAST year! I won't disclose the amount but I CAN PAY MY RENT ARREARS, DEBT AND PAY MY RENT!!! WOOHOO!!! 
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    So pleased for you!!!
  • poppy123456
    Great news! I'm guessing it's just the backpay, for now at least? 

No premiums are paid on UC. They're talking about changing the rules for this for those that moved across and lost their SDP. They will eventually be paid the money they lost but for now this hasn't happened and those that lost the SDP during the move are still without their SDP payment. 
  • easy
    Does this mean he will not get any back pay? Even though he was getting ESA before, or have I misread this.
  • easy
    Sorry I have just reread your post and I misunderstood.
    I often get confused, please accept my apologies.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.