PIP and pension credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and pension credit

Pukka123
Pukka123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there people. I wonder if anyone can answer this question. I was receiving DLA with mobility component for over 10 years. (Liver cirrhosis, spine damage and severe depression). I had PIP assesment last month and have been given the basic PIP and have lost the mobility component.
I am not going to appeal it as the stress of the whole business drives me nuts. Since I reached retirement age 2 years ago I was also able to claim pension credit (65£ weelkly). What I want to know is if I will also lose the pension credit due to the new PIP award. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome, no you shouldn’t loose the pension credit by having a lower PIP award. A lot of claimants who transfer from DLA to PIP and where receiving high rate mobility then loose altogether or are awarded the lower rate, it’s not a government or DWP scam to save money as many would have us think it that the two benefits award for DLA your disability and PIP your abilities so if you don’t fit the descriptors for PIP you will be awarded a lower rate.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

PC is not affected by your PIP award.

Does anyone claim Care's Allowance for you?
  • Pukka123
    Pukka123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for replies. no, am not claiming carers allowance. I get State Pension of
    645£ a month..
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    The only time it will be affected is if you lost your daily living award of PIP or you weren't awarded it and you were claiming severe disability premium in with your pension credit. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Pukka123,

As @poppy123456 mentions, you can get Pension Credit if you have the PIP daily living component. Citizens Advice have some more information about extra money and help PIP entitles you to on their website which might be of interest to you.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.