Should I appeal my PIP decision? Advice please. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Should I appeal my PIP decision? Advice please.

Nicki36
Nicki36 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I've just received my pip award and I really don't agree with it they have awarded me the standard rate of daily living but no mobility rate. My mobility has worsened in the short time I had my assessment do I appeal it or wait for my review next year? I'm totally baffled how they have worked it I have to use crutches to get about I can't get in and out of the bath unaided i can barely walk to the end of my street yet they decided I can walk 50 metres but no more than 200. Just after some advice please this is all new to me unfortunately.
Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Nicki36 and a very warm welcome to the community! You've definitely come to the right place! If you look at the PIP online self- help test it may give you an indication of the points you could be getting (this isn't necessarily the points an assessor would give). It is completely up to you whether you appeal the decision. Many of our members have appealed so there will be lots of people to support you through that if you choose to go down that route! There is information on the Scope website about how the process works. If you need anything else then please do let me know!
    Scope

• Nicki36
    Thank you for replying so quickly. I'm really not sure what to do for the best my disability is very recent only the past 6 months I've been the way I am. Is there anywhere I can go to talk to someone face to face about the whole appeal process do you know? I suffer with anxiety so just the mere thought of having to go to a tribunal fills me with fear.its so confusing how they work it all out. I will definitely be using this community chat though it helps knowing there are like minded people in the same situation as myself.
    Any advice is gratefully received.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Saying you can barely walk to the end of your street will not get you a mobility award. You need tell them how far you can walk without pain and discomfort. Explain what happens when you walk, do you have pain, breathlessness, do you have to stop, this sort of thing.

No one can tell you what to do because we don't know how your conditions affect you. I'd advise speak to your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre near you and they will advise you further. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Nicki36,

You can also visit your local Citizens Advice for more information and support about the appeals process, and you can also contact our helpline for free on 0808 800 3333 or helpline@scope.org.uk.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • Nicki36
    Thank you I do appreciate it I'll get in touch with citizens advice soon.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Many decisions are flawed.  Assessor decided I could walk 20-50m but tribunal decided I could walk 0-20m.  It's worth appealing if you think your current award is safe from reduction.  71% of appeals succeed.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2018
    Matilda said:
      71% of appeals succeed.
    Only if you are represented with a qualified welfare rights officer
    If unrepresented the success rate drops to below 50%

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.