Pip F2F assessment coming up — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip F2F assessment coming up

ello
ello Community member Posts: 20 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all 
Can anyone give me any advice on this F2F pip assessment I have it on Sat 15 September
I am going to record it myself after reading on this site from you all some of the antics that happen 
I have osteoarthritis in all my joints for many years now and I am retired aged 68,
plus I am now being assessed for peripheral neuropathy in hands and feet this gives me 24/7 constant pain in my toes pins and needles with a burning sensation in my feet my legs are weak and I get this sudden sharp pain causing my leg to  buckle under me if I go out I always need someone to support me because I cannot grip walking sticks or crutches,
I even have probs dressing thankfully my sister helps me with this and cooks my food,
But I suppose the pip assor will tell me differently! 
If I loose this and my car I will then be housebound and loose my liberty,
I am currently on DLA Mobility sine 2002 been to man island for medical examination twice with high rate allowance received on both occasions, 
being optomistic on the PIP result feeling really depressed and anxious over this I don’t have a full nights sleep as it is 
If nothing else please wish me luck

Comments

• loopyt
    loopyt Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    Hi Ello, just be honest but may it clear just how much you are struggling and that you couldn't manage without help. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply and give you lots of support but I wish you all the very best for the outcome you obviously need x
  • ello
    Hi loopyt, thank you very much for your kind response I would be eager to know what job they deem I could do as I am retired on a pension, 
    But then they are miracle workers apparently got cures for everything lol x

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    You should answer those questions with as much detail as possible, if you can. They will be watching you from the minute you arrive to the minute you leave. If you can't do something they ask you to do tell them you can't and the reasons why. Lots of information on the internet about PIP assessments.

Have you got permission to record the assessment? If you haven't then you'll need to ring the health assessment providers to ask. You also need to use the appropriate recording equipment of either CD or tape recorder and record 2 identical copies, one copy must be handed into the assessment provider at the end of the assessment. Recording an assessment without permission, if they catch you then you're file will be returned to DWP and it's likely you'll be refused that benefit. Using mobile phones, laptops etc to record isn't allowed.

Good luck.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ello
    Hi poppy123456,
    I will be informing them about recording it, I have two devices to tape record assessment on, they say you should call up 3days prior to assessment which I will do (although I did put it on the form that I returned) 
    thank you for your advice
  • poppy123456
    Hi, you still need to ring because not every HCP will agree to be recorded. The sooner you ring the better because then you're giving them plenty of time. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • loopyt
    Sorry Ello, should have said make not may! Just to add, have any medical evidence you have available. If there is anything that they have not already seen it may be worth getting copies if you are able to so you can give them to the assessor. Although it shouldn't be a matter of luck I do wish you the best of luck
  • ello
    Hi, thanks poppy I will take your advice and do it today 
    Thank You
  • ello
    Hi loopyt
    i have sent them my med records that I got from doctors (and payed £40 in July 2018) but as I moved to this bungalow for various reasons 3yrs ago I noticed that between the transfer of records from one doctor to the other I am 12 yrs missing records from 2004-2015,
    i requested these notes/records to be found  but up to now no joy.
    i have had some procedures done in this period which I cannot provide info on,
    but it did highlight to me why my new doctors did not have my arthritis, shoulder surgery, hand grip tests + X-ray, back physio  etc listed on their records,
    I have told them now that I have a pip assessment coming up but this won’t help me,
    They are supposed to be looking for them?
    So you see I have probs that I don’t need really,
    Thanks for you support 

• ello
    Hi Poppy123456
    Thank You very much for advice I have just called pip regarding recording assessment also asked for ground floor room so all in place now she even said that if there should be an issue there is plenty of time to deal with it,
    glad I didn’t wait until their recommended time to contact now.
    Regards
  • loopyt
    Have you contacted your local pals? They can be a really big help when it comes to things like this. They are the patient liaison service and may well be able to speed things up? You can still send anything to DWP after the assessor has been
  • ello
    Hi loopyt,
    no I haven’t I didn’t think about that I have a friend who worked for pals some time ago
     Thank You for your support and advice
  • ello
    edited September 2018
    Good Morning all
    could anyone advice me with this, when I attend my upcoming pip assessment I have been advised to take a copy of (what I take to be) my application form to remind me of what I said!  Would this be allowed,
    i have a copy of completed form because I had help filling it in from welfare rights,
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

Yes you can take a copy of this to refer back to when answering the questions, or just take a look through it before you go. 
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/
  • ello
    Hi 
    thanks poppy I will need to do this after
    reading the form I need to 
    make a note of some disability aids things I have and use but forgot some of them so not mentioned on the form. I didn’t realise until now ,
    or I spoke to fast and they were overlooked 
    do you know if they will still take them into account or am I to late?
  • poppy123456
    They may or may not take them into consideration, I don't know. Did you send evidence of the aids you use and the reasons you use them? Did you send any other evidence with the form to support your claim? 
  • ello
    Hi 
    I did send what medical records I did have from 1990s and the current ones from this GP? 
    I think I will take aids with me my son can carry them!
    i did put most of them on the form and why I use them
    I don’t know what evidence I could have for a bottom wiper for instance I bought these myself to help me and try to keep a bit of dignity! 
    But then at the end of the day whatever you do or say means nothing to them?
    i am a pensioner so it’s not getting me into a working environment just feels like a with hunt?
    Thank You though poppy

• poppy123456
    There's no need to take your aids with you, you won't be able to prove they're yours. Just tell them that you use the aids and your reasons why when they're asking all the questions. Some things aren't classed as aids and won't score any points for the descriptors, it totally depends what it is, so please be aware of that. 

PIP has nothing to do with whether you're able to work or not because it's a disability benefit, people claim it and work.

Lots of people are successful at claiming PIP first time without any problems. The only thing is, is that we don't often hear the good stories and only ever the bad. If someone has an award they're happy with then they have no questions, so we don't hear their story. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.