Anyone like dogs? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone like dogs?

Ellice
Ellice Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I love dogs any tips on walking them with a disability

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Ellice
    What type of disability do you have?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • LadyEve
    LadyEve Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I live, breathe and speak dog! I’m currently looking after 4 puppies as well as their mum, dad and adopted Auntie.  
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I love dogs but I’m allergic to their dander. I can spend short periods of time with them but then my asthma will kick in. It’s funny as I grew up with dogs as family pets and the allergy happened later in life. Also I used to work full time and although I love dogs I don’t agree with them being left in the house for long periods so never got around to getting one. What’s funny is I now think a service dog would do me the world of good for my health issues. It’s a pity there’s not more of that in the u k. Anyway I digress. Most days when I go for a short walk in the park, I meet dogs and owners of varying shapes and sizes and I love meeting the friendly dogs who almost speak to people with their body language and looking for a clap. I love the happy ones who wag their tails and bounce around enjoying their walk. 
  • veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    There are certain breeds of dog who might be suitable for you.  Don't forget the Obamas had the same problem.   You can find out more information from a good Vet, or contact the Kennel Club.    
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    My dog keeps me going everyday, I have to get out of bed, take him for walk etc.
    Thats the reason I got him to help me go out.
    I can honestly say that if I didn’t have him I wouldn’t be here today.
    There are time though I just can cope taking him out but he is very patient and I think he knows when my MH is bad. 
    Dogs don’t discriminate or judge you, they just love you unconditionally 
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    I have a dog called called Arnold. He is a Jack Russel with a lovely temperament.He loves the grandchildren and follows them around with his kong for them to throw for him. He loves to run so as long as there is room he will take himself off and just run. It can be funny when I am watching TV he just starts to run around the sitting room. It can be difficult at times to exercise him but I manage OK as he just runs but will come right back as soon as I call him. He is my reason for getting up every day. He never asks for anything and just wags his tail when I talk to him. I love Arnold.   
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I have two dogs, a jack russell/border collie cross and a chihuahua :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • easy
    easy Scope Member Posts: 670 Pioneering
    I think the Jack Russel/Border collie sounds like a hand full?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I have two dogs! A Dalmatian and a Labrador, they are both very cute but very cheeky! 
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    Buter wouldnt melt
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I have two dogs, Jack Russell/Border Terrier, Molly & Max. Molly is the smallest but she causes the most trouble! 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Joannecutler1
    Joannecutler1 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I have a rescued, five years ago, ex racing greyhound. She's my saviour on bad mh days. I fuss her when I'm crying, she snuggles right into me and looks deep into my eyes, letting me know that she loves me, that makes my heart swell with love when I can't see anything else that matters. So placid, am I'm convinced she looks after me because we saved her too. Having mh for over 20 years, this dog is and will always be my saviour  She's ten now, very calming and a face that no one could resist. She was hard work for first few months but we stuck it out, she'd only experienced a terrible existence so convincing her that people do care for her has produced the most amazing friendship I've ever had . I would highly recommend one to anyone with mh. Some days, when I have no logic at all, this dog is the one thing that sees me through. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every body miss having a pet. Love all your stories . Very good and cheers me up on a cold windy day.

Had always dogs or cats. When in my early teens. went to work as a kennel lad. Volunteering. Met the owners and their daughter.

They bred German Shepherds. Had really this is true had to learn German commands because several of the dogs were from Germany. Could not understand English at all.

We had to teach them English Commands. True, daft but it was a time for me.

Looking caring for animals and enjoyed it.

Walking dogs in breath taking country side where I lived at the time always helped.

Also another friend set up a house sitting service. Where the cost of kennels expensive. So looked after the house for people and their pets on holiday.

Asked me to be part of it and spent a lot of time doing walking and feeding. All helps me.

Unfortunately now to mental health and disability have nothing. Costs and expenses play a part.

One time had no money to feed my dogs and had no option but to give them up to kennels.

Just have treasured memories.

Thank you all for the photos . Made my day and the stories.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Joannecutler1
    Joannecutler1 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I think I would contact a local, to you, fostering kennel. They cover all costs and you get different dogs to care for and receive that friendship  Give it a go. Nothing to lose. X
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    i have a border collie called bella. i have had dogs for 20 years and couldn't imagine life without one. she is great company especially as i live on my own.
  • Roddy123
    Roddy123 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    I have 3 rescue dogs,2 Papillon ,Eddie and Diva,and Yonnie who is a rescue from Cairo.
    Without my dogs I would be lost,they are my salvation, and as for walking them,sadly I dont,but luckily we do have a very large garden which they roam about in.
  • debbiedo49
    my best pal from years ago

Brightness