Hi, my name is numptienick!......benefits — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is numptienick!......benefits

numptienick
numptienick Community member Posts: 2 Listener
I lost my job in May this year due to me having Parkinsons Disease.I am 56 years old and have worked since i was 17.I went to the job centre to try and claim some benefits on 23rd May .As of today 7th September i have received just £19 .My wife works 23 hours a week and because of that for every £1 she earns they take 63p of my benefits,so basically i am trying to run  the house on her part time wage.I do receive PIP which is £330 every 4 weeks and i have tried to claim new style esa but that hasn;t been paid yet.I am in such a mess and feel let down badly

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @numptienick   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Sorry what has happened. Hope we as a community can help and advise.

Thank you for sharing.   Thank you for joining.

Understand the issues and problems with benefits. There will be members of our community or a member of our team will advise.

Have you spoken to CAB  they have a wealth of knowledge and expertise on benefits and may offer solutions or advise you on your current situation.

Benefits are complex and confusing.

We are a friendly supportive community.  Care and share.

Hope you get and find the answers you need.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @numptienick,

Welcome to the community. :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling down. As @thespiceman says, have you considered contacting your local Citizens Advice? They may be able to offer further advice and support.
    Liam
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    New style contributions based ESA isn't means tested and your wife working will not affect this. It seems like to me that you've claimed the wrong benefit and claimed Universal credit, am I right? New styles CB ESA should only take about 3 weeks till payments start, have you claimed this? 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • numptienick
    numptienick Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Yes I claimed this on,16th August but have not received anything yet 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.