A Positive PIP Experience — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A Positive PIP Experience

zuchon1975
zuchon1975 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
Hi
I recieved my PIP award letter today I have been awarded standard Living (10 points) and Enhanced Mobilty (12 points).
I applied following a RTA that left me with serious damage to my leg requiring major surgery. I filled in the forms in April and had my Face to Face Assessment at home on the 17th August (Capita did cancel one appointment as the assessor was taken sick). The assessor who visited my home was lovely and explained the process to me very well - I was anxious as I refused to any of the exercises that involved standing and bending.
So letter came today stating they would back pay me until April and the back payment would go in to my account on the 6th September (yesterday) and it has.

Something I was dreading (as I’ve supported people going through Tribunal in my job) turned out to be straightforward and painless. I know I’m luck but I hope my story reassures anyone applying for the first time. 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @zuchon1975 and a very warm welcome to the community! Thank you very much for sharing this with us all. I am sure members will find it reassuring to read about your success! Congratulations on getting your claim! Please have a look around the community and feel free to get involved with other discussions :)
    If you need anything else at all then please do not hesitate to be in touch!

Scope

• zuchon1975
    Thank you Chloe
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Some good news at last, some people do have good PIP acessments with the correct awards being given.
  • zuchon1975
    Thank you wilko I’ve been very lucky , I know some people have dreadful experiences
  • Rosie2017
    Rosie2017 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
    Great news, shows they can get it right sometimes!!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi
    I recieved my PIP award letter today I have been awarded standard Living (10 points) and Enhanced Mobilty (12 points).
    I applied following a RTA that left me with serious damage to my leg requiring major surgery. I filled in the forms in April and had my Face to Face Assessment at home on the 17th August (Capita did cancel one appointment as the assessor was taken sick). The assessor who visited my home was lovely and explained the process to me very well - I was anxious as I refused to any of the exercises that involved standing and bending.
    So letter came today stating they would back pay me until April and the back payment would go in to my account on the 6th September (yesterday) and it has.

Something I was dreading (as I’ve supported people going through Tribunal in my job) turned out to be straightforward and painless. I know I’m luck but I hope my story reassures anyone applying for the first time. 
    So pleased to read of your award. I would imagine that you knew how to complete the claim form and what evidence was required. Also you appear to have had one of the 'good' assessors. Maybe this together with how you were allowed to discuss your difficulties with tha assessor was the reason why you succeeded. 
  • zuchon1975
    Thanks Yadna, I fill in hundreds of forms a year and write reports in my job. I suppose I was at a extreme advantage in that way plus I’m a trained negotiator so I was very aware of using descriptive words that would fit/trigger the descriptors they use to write the PIP report.  
    I’d also spent some time researching the PIP process before I submitted the claim form. 
    I also realised very early on the Assessor isn’t really interested in hearing the medical diagnosis from you as a claimant (I presume this is because you provide your medical evidence with your claim form). 
    So I focussed on describing my day to day activities and how my condition affected carrying out everyday things. I all so highlighted every area I needed help from another individual and any aids I used, this is very important as the assessor does not ask leading questions so you have to spell things out. 
    I can imagine for anyone who suffers from anxiety / depression or has communication difficulties of any kind the PIP process must be a complete nightmare - actually I’d go so far to say as the PIP process could actually be discriminating against sections of the disabled community.
    I’m a confident outgoing person (well the majority of the time) and I still found the process stressful. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @zuchon1975 I agree it is discrimination. When I got booted off Esa I went to tribunal and got rejected. I wanted to end it all the anxiety was so bad. So when I went for pip I had to expect the worst so I would not be devastated if I lost. I didnt lose but had to go all way to tribunal as par for course. It has such a detrimental effect on my mental health which im sure is same for many that it really isnt appropriate for this type of thing.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks Yadna, I fill in hundreds of forms a year and write reports in my job. I suppose I was at a extreme advantage in that way plus I’m a trained negotiator so I was very aware of using descriptive words that would fit/trigger the descriptors they use to write the PIP report.  
    I’d also spent some time researching the PIP process before I submitted the claim form. 
    I also realised very early on the Assessor isn’t really interested in hearing the medical diagnosis from you as a claimant (I presume this is because you provide your medical evidence with your claim form). 
    So I focussed on describing my day to day activities and how my condition affected carrying out everyday things. I all so highlighted every area I needed help from another individual and any aids I used, this is very important as the assessor does not ask leading questions so you have to spell things out. 
    I can imagine for anyone who suffers from anxiety / depression or has communication difficulties of any kind the PIP process must be a complete nightmare - actually I’d go so far to say as the PIP process could actually be discriminating against sections of the disabled community.
    I’m a confident outgoing person (well the majority of the time) and I still found the process stressful. 
    To have that ability must be a godsend. I would suggest that your success is entirely down to those abilities which as you say are lacking in the majority of  claimants who fail to get any award. Even at a Tribunal.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    So agree. You have a rare insight into these peoples thoughtz and how it all works or doesnt work.
    So glad your with us. A lot of us need info. Advice. And some compassion when we come on here and you sound the very person wev been waiting for.
    Please join in and share your experiences and advice with us 
  • zuchon1975
    Any help I can give I will do so willingly. As in life we needed to stick together and share our experiences and abilities everyone has something to offer and I look forward to getting to know you all in our virtual world. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.