Esa assessment (medical appointment ) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa assessment (medical appointment )

Carolineo
Carolineo Community member Posts: 10 Connected
hi my son is on Esa in the support group he now as a medical assessment appointment does any one no if he as to speak for him self or can I do it for him as his appointee as he struggles conversations and dosent understand many thanks 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Carolineo
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I am unsure however another member of the community may know and will be in contact with you soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    As you're his appointee then you'll be able to speak on his behalf. Make sure you answer those questions with as much detail as possible. Did you send evidence to support his claim? They rarely contact anyone for this. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Carolineo
    Carolineo Community member Posts: 10 Connected
     hi thanks for your reply yes I got s letter off his support worker and he as others he as to see as well as his doctor I left it to late for a gp letter as it takes 6 weeks .he 
    is on injections for sicociss sorry carnt spell and also on antidepressents an the gp thinks he as scitzoprenia  I will no in a couple of weeks when they review him . So I’ve got all that half coverd I’ve not bin one before so I’m a little worried as to what happens and what happens so any comments wud be great thanks for your time in replieng much appriated 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I disagree with this sorry. Having just read through the link you posted, it states nothing about needing a statement under the MCA that they lack capacity.

Copied from the link above.
    Consultations should predominantly be between the HP and the claimant.
    However, the companions may play an active role in helping
    claimants answer questions where the claimant or HP wishes them to do so.
    This may be particularly important where the claimant has a mental, cognitive or intellectual impairment. In such cases the claimant may not be able to give an accurate account of their health condition or impairment, through a lack of insight or unrealistic expectations of their own ability. In such cases it will be essential to
    get an accurate account from the companion.

Just to add, i spoke on behalf of my daughter throughout her whole assessment because she doesn't have the mental capacity to answer for herself and neither does she have the ability to give an accurate account regarding her condition, yet i didn't need any statement to confirm any of this.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Denz
    Denz Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello, if your son is unable to speak for himself, you can answer for him/assist him to answer.
    You can always request that it is a qualified medical doctor who does the assessment & if you wanted also request that the interview be recorded by them (they will give you a copy immediately after the interview), just for your own peace of mind (in case you think something may have been misinterpreted.
    Good Luck.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.