Given almost no points — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Given almost no points

Harley_Quinn
Harley_Quinn Community member Posts: 27 Connected
I have recently received my PIP letter and I have been given practically nothing (2 points). The assessor seemed to brush off quite a lot, he couldn't get an answer from me quick enough, almost trying to get me to say what he wanted to hear. I have ASD, anxiety and mild cerebral palsy. I cannot walk too far without a burning pain in my shins, make eye contact or manage sensory input. He said I walked fine, moved fine and showed no anxiety talking to him - even though I completed movements with support from sitting down - hardly looking at him, he only saw me walking the minute or so distance to and from the waiting area to the assessment room (my balance/ability to walk is only what it is because I wore splints and received physiotherapy for around 10 years as a child, even now I don't walk properly and still have to wear insoles to try and hold my feet straight - which he didn't seem to care less about as it hadn't happened recently) and I fidgeted with my stim toy the entire time. My aunt who was with me has wrote down what she thinks and has suggested I take it to citizens advice.  How do I get a better understanding from the PIP people and sort this out? Thanks 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Your next step is the Mandatory Reconsideration and you have 28 days to request this. Put it in writing stating what you disagree with and where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. Did you send evidence to support your claim? They rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.  If you have a copy of the assessment report, it will help you with this stage. Visiting your local CAB or welfare rights is a good idea and they will help you with the process. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jonboy50
    jonboy50 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    First thing is appeal, and of course going to citizens advice, they will be able to help you with any forms to fill. Although there is plenty of online help you can get. You can even get help on here. Hope this helps.https://www.scope.org.uk/Support/Tips/Disabled-people/PIP-appeals.
  • Harley_Quinn
    @poppy123456 how long does it take to get an answer after you send away for an appeal? They gathered information from health professionals 
  • AndrewPatrick
    AndrewPatrick Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    PIP applicants need to be aware that aids get points.For example, hand grabs, socks on, shoe horn.

• poppy123456
    MR takes a few weeks, maybe more but there's no timescales really. Less than 20% of MR decisions are successful.

Tribunal waiting times are huge across most of the country with some waiting as long as 1 year.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Harley_Quinn
    PIP applicants need to be aware that aids get points.For example, hand grabs, socks on, shoe horn.

The assessor only seemed interested in things like walking sticks/frames. Don't know if the past use of splints or the aids I use to get through the day now - insoles and ear plugs/stim toys count 
  • poppy123456

The assessor only seemed interested in things like walking sticks/frames. Don't know if the past use of splints or the aids I use to get through the day now - insoles and ear plugs/stim toys count 
    This is why you need further advice to understand the descriptors properly and to know where you could score those points.
  • AndrewPatrick
    AndrewPatrick Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I agree you need further advice and guidance. I know some people play down their disability. and this can give some assessors an open door to denying benefits. I suffer from Generalised Osteo-Arthritis and long before I had a new hip I kitted myself out with good quality sprung crutches to make my life easier. I use one all the time and two when feeling really awful. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.