Capita no show. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capita no show.

Options
bubsxo
bubsxo Community member Posts: 22 Courageous
Hi guys, 

Apologies in advance for the long post/ramble.  :'(

I've been claiming PIP since May 2015 for various health conditions (interstitial cystitis, fibromyalgia to name a small few) as well as mental health problems (severe anxiety, depression etc) and I was originally (and luckily!) awarded both enhanced for daily living, and mobility and have had a motability car since 2016. I also claim ESA.

I received a PIP review form in June of this year, and filled it in all pretty much no change and included a long letter of all my problems, how they effect me, what medication etc i take with a few new things added on since my last review. (Since I sent that form off I have been given new medication which I was going to show at my assessment.) I received a letter in July saying they would more than likely be sending me for a face to face for my first application for PIP. First?!

Anyway, I received a letter two weeks ago now confirming someone from Capita would be coming to do a face to face assessment at my home today (10/09/18) I queried this with them as I've never had a home assessment before, for PIP or ESA and found it a little strange and was advised that was what the health assessor had decided.

The reason I was questioning this mainly was because I have been reported for benefit fraud three times over the past two years, by an ex "friend". The first two times were for my partner living with me (which he doesn't, and both times were found to be unfounded claims, and basically malicious) and the third time for faking my illnesses, and claiming a motability car I wasn't entitled to. It turns out this time she actually got her partner to report me, and gave details of my car, my license plate, my address, and even my mothers details to "make sure they got the right person" the short of it is this person has a vendetta against me and is trying to ruin my life the only way they know how, taking away what income I have.

I've been an absolute paranoid mess for two weeks now, well pretty much since June knowing I was more than likely going to have another dreaded assessment. But also knowing that as it would be at my house that they were coming to actually "spy" on me (thats my paranoia kicking in) and to see whether my partner does actually live here, and that also they would for whatever reason (bad assessor, fraud claims against me) find me to be more able bodied than I am and not only take my benefit away but also my car. 

My mother came round mine today as she usually does to help me, and we waited for the assessor who was due at 1pm. I've had a letter confirming the date, and also a text message, with the usually line of "if you fail to attend your benefit will be stopped" if i fail to attend my own home?!

By 10 past 1 I was already an absolute wreck dreading what was going to happen and a little annoyed that the assessor hadn't shown up on time, by half past 1 i was really annoyed. My mother called up Capita who "tried to get hold of the assessor" but told us they couldn't reach them, and to give it until 2pm before we call back (an hour past the original time) and if they still haven't shown up they've got 24 hours to give me a valid reason why.

By half past 2 I was in more of a wreck than even I thought was possible, and my mother was very annoyed. She called DWP to explain no one had shown up and to update my records as I was worried from reading peoples previous experiences, thank you google! that both Atos and Capita have a habit of claiming you weren't in, and having your benefit stopped for failing to attend the assessment. The woman advised we needed to speak to them direct. When I said I wasn't willing for it to be rearranged due to the absolute stress (not eating, not sleeping, increased suicidal thoughts, increased pain and overall anxiety) she advised me my benefit would be stopped if I didn't let them rearrange it.

We rang Capita back and they tried again, or so they say to get in touch with the assessor but there was no answer. My mum explained how I was feeling and that she was going to have to call a doctor regarding my mental well being. They said they would investigate why the assessor didn't show and that they have 5 days to do this. My mum requested that I have a paper assessment as I'm not able right now to get into the centre, and to be quite honest i'm not willing to let someone invade my privacy and to come to my home again (the only place I feel truly comfortable and able to be in pain) and try and trick me out of my benefit, especially after todays no show and the lady at Capita said she wouldn't advise this at this stage as they have 5 days to investigate.

Basically I really want to know what I should do from here? Do i make a formal complaint about the way i've been treated first of all? I think the fact I didn't receive any phone call in 2 and a half hours from the so called assessor to apologise is disgusting, even to explain they were going to be late, or got lost, or wouldn't be attending. I heard absolutely nothing, and if it wasn't for my mother phoning in I would of sat in a mess for hours. I think its terrible how they can leave someone they know has not only severe anxiety problems but severe pain waiting 2 and a half hours for an appointment to not show up. I think its unfair we're penalised so badly for failure to attend appointments, or being late, or in any way not complying but they're allowed to do this. I think its down right disgusting to be honest, and rude. Its also left me with absolutely zero confidence, as I now think is this how little my life means to someone, knowing that them not showing up would have detrimental effects to my health and well being, and would leave me feeling ever more suicidal.

Do I wait the 5 days and see what they say? Shall i expect my benefit to be stopped and my motability car to be taken away for "failure to attend" even though we were sat waiting from 11am until gone 3pm, and also after making the DWP aware they didn't show? Do I speak to my doctor about the fact I've basically had another mental breakdown today, and that a F2F assessment isn't ideal for me anymore and to push for a paper one? Or do I give up the fight and accept that they're more than likely going to offer me no compensation, no apology, and no resolution and simply rearrange another appointment, for me to wait weeks on end in absolute tears everyday for them more than likely to take my original award away.

I'm at a loss.

Any help would be massively massively appreciated. As much as I appreciate the extra money to support me, and the small independence the car gives me (drs appts etc) i'm just not sure its worth what it is doing to my mental health. I am realistically on the verge of taking my own life. 

Thanks for listening. xx

Comments

• Goodienuff
    Goodienuff Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    I was ready to go to the appeal centre at 2:30pm, when  I got a phone call to say that they had to cancel the appointment due to a bereavement.  I have heard lots of complaints about this farsicle arrangement, who told me I didn't meet the criteria for a home visit!!

It takes me just under 2 hours to get ready to go anywhere, so they agreed to give me the latest appointment available (3:30pm) so I was really gutted to have been cancelled, as I will have to go through the sodding same again next week!!

Is there somewhere to complain about this?  They are lucky to be able bodied, and can go into the big world without having to go to bed afterwards and don't have to double up on the painkillers when they get home!!!

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

That's a lot of stress indeed, i'm sorry it happened to you. They can't stop your PIP for failing to attend when it was the HCP that didn't turn up. You rang DWP to report this. You were advised to wait 5 days so i would do that and see what happens. As for compensation then that is wishful thinking, i'm afraid. You won't be the first or last person for this to happen to.

You'll most likely be given another appointment for a face 2 face assessment because most people have these. Paper based assessments are rare. You can certainly ask but be prepared for them to refuse this, as you were given an appointment previously. A home assessment is certainly better than going to them, i know it's your home but at least you don't have the stress of going outside, getting to the assessment centre and waiting in the room until they call you in for the appointment.

I'm sure others will see this and advise you further. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was ready to go to the appeal centre at 2:30pm, when  I got a phone call to say that they had to cancel the appointment due to a bereavement.  I have heard lots of complaints about this farsicle arrangement, who told me I didn't meet the criteria for a home visit!!

It takes me just under 2 hours to get ready to go anywhere, so they agreed to give me the latest appointment available (3:30pm) so I was really gutted to have been cancelled, as I will have to go through the sodding same again next week!!

Is there somewhere to complain about this?  They are lucky to be able bodied, and can go into the big world without having to go to bed afterwards and don't have to double up on the painkillers when they get home!!!

Hi,

Yes, you can complain to the assessment providers but they won't do anything about it. I know it's stressful having these assessments canceled, it's happened to me but they're human and no one can predict the future. Things in life happen which we have no control over. Good thing they canceled it before you left home because it has been known for them not to cancel until the last minute and the claimant has already left home by this time.

As for the home assessment request, did you send in a letter from your GP stating the reasons why this is needed?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi  @bubsxo
    This is what happened to me.I got really good advice on here.The first thing to do is contact DWP. Let them know you were in all day waiting.Make a note of the exact time you called as these calls were not logged by bt on my account.
    Call Capita and ask for their explanation for the no show.After this Capita usually send the claim back to DWP saying you were a no show.Mine took just over a week.I then got back on to the DWP and spoke to a case manager. He asked me to describe my house. He then googled it in Google Street View. The discrepancy arose when he verified my house had a green door Capita had apparently knocked on a Red one.They then resent my forms to Capita and got them to make another appointment.This one went smoothly.
    It could be a genuine mistake on their part but as long as you make the DWP aware that you were in and have a witness they hopefully will be as reasonable in your case as they were mine.Good luck.
       Debsidoo.x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.