Medication and brain fog — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Medication and brain fog

cracker
cracker Community member Posts: 324 Pioneering
I am so often embarrassed by mistakes I make because I must take medication for pain. Today I paid my rent and put the wrong amount in the envelope. I fear my landlord thinks me demented - I cannot tell him I get confused because of side effects.

These mistakes can happen in small ways all time time, whether because of medication or because I am so tired. I wonder if anyone else goes through this and how they handle it? I have read that RA can cause depression and some memory loss. How can I explain - should I not broach the subject? 

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Most lanldlords are reasonable and maitaining your tenancy should be among anyone's high priorities. It doesn't have to be a long and complicated explanation, just explain because of the medication you are on you may make mistakes and will correct them. If your landlord is unaware of your condition there is no need to explain this to them and ask them if they can keep the information confidential.

You should also ask your landlord to count the money in front of you and to give you a receipt each time you make a payment. If you get a writing book you can label each page with the date your rent is due and put your receipts into them. Or if you have a scanner you can scan them in and put them into a folder on your computer. This will stop an unscruplous landlord from taking advantage, and allow you to check you have paid the full rent if you are not sure.

You have the right to decide who and how much you tell people about yourself. Sometimes though there are some people who it is worth telling, especially if it can have a negative affect on you.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• cracker
    These are good suggestions, and I will follow them. I never thought of telling my landlord of my medications and their side effects (I am on 5 which can cause memory loss). I am afraid he will not trust me. 

Our relationship has been so friendly and casual that I haven't asked for receipts. I will now.
  • Geoark
    The fact your relationship is friendly and casual is good, remember as well as protecting you and giving you peace of mind, receipts will also help protect your landlord.

As I said, the amount of information you give is up to you, and how much information you give should be done with some consideration. For example I would say initially it would be sufficient to inform him that you are currently on medication which can cause some memory loss/brain fog which can affect your concentration. Especially if you have concerns how the news will be received. 

As well as giving your landlord the chance to understand what is going on and maintain your relationship it also means that when your behaviour is unusual to what they or others might expect from  you it removes any speculation about whether or not you have a drink or drug problem which might start raising alarm bells.

• cracker
    I did go to him today and explained that I have a lot of pain and must take pain killers that may cause me to make mistakes. He was most understanding about it and said we would sit down together and count the rent money together.

He is really a sweet man.
  • Geoark
    @cracker I am pleased to hear that it went well, and one less worry to concern you.

Brightness