Benefits advise? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Benefits advise?

debharry
debharry Community member Posts: 4 Listener
could anyone advise me on benefits to claim of I give up work to look after my teenage son  he's not been able to go school since Feb 18 due to his anxiety and depression he's waiting to be assessed for autism. I work part time but need to finish work to look after him. I am a single parent. 
Thank you 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debharry
    Welcome to the community! You may find what benefits can I claim useful :) Please don't hesitate to ask for any further help!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • debharry
    Thank you Ami2301 I will take a look.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    Does your son claim mid/high rate care DLA? If he does, do you claim Carers Allowance for looking after him?

If the answer is no to the DLA then just giving up work isn't that simple anymore because you can't claim Income Support unless you have a child under 5. What benefits do you claim at the moment?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • debharry
    he is waiting for a ASD assessment I don't claim any benefits at the moment I work part time get working tax and child tax.
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2018
    Then i'd advise you to get further advice about this from your local CAB. As he doesn't claim DLA then you can't claim carers allowance. If you leave your job then the only benefits available to you will be JSA or Universal credit depending on what's in your area. To be able to claim these you'll be signing an agreement to look for work.

Have you thought about starting a claim for DLA (providing he's under 16) if over 16 then it's PIP. You don't need a diagnosis for either of these but you will need evidence to support a claim for either of them.

DLA for children will depend on whether he needs more care, attention or supervision than a child of the same age who isn't disabled.

PIP is about how the conditions affect you and different to DLA.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Sorry to do this on your post but i can’t post a discussion because I’m getting a pop up saying that < i can’t authenticate you to this website > please can anybody help me? Sorry again to barge in on your post. NC
  • cripps
    cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
    Sorry to do this on your post but i can’t post a discussion because I’m getting a pop up saying that < i can’t authenticate you to this website > please can anybody help me? Sorry again to barge in on your post. NC
  • poppy123456
    cripps said:
    I have no idea, sorry. Maybe log out and try logging back in again and see if that works or contact one of the moderators and they'll be able to help you further.
  • debharry
    Thank you poppy123456 I will look into it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.