PIP refused — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP refused

Options
teresa52
teresa52 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I'm depressed at the moment as my pip was refused but before I was on dla indefinitely

Comments

• Jonnya
    Jonnya Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Options
    Simular , extremely difficult but try to positive, request a man recon asap , appeal appeal and appeal again , even its out of principle, pip not fit for purpose ,,,,,gud luck
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @teresa52
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear what has happened, I am unsure how to advise, sorry. I just wanted to wish you all the best!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @teresa52

We have some great information about appealing a DWP decision here that might help you out.  If you have any questions, please let us know :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Jonnya said:
    Simular , extremely difficult but try to positive, request a man recon asap , appeal appeal and appeal again , even its out of principle, pip not fit for purpose ,,,,,gud luck
    If someone is poorly and not able to really address their own claim I do wonder how they would summon up that level of strength and determination?

I know I couldn't even though I knew that the decision was wrong and not in accordance with the evidence that I had submitted. Many, like myself have to give up the claim as physically and mentally they are not able to fight for their rights.
  • teresa52
    Options
    Don't give up I have copd,diabetes,legs give way,chronic asthma,manic depression,osteoporosis,osteoarthritis,memory loss that's just some of the illnesses on my medical records
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    teresa52 said:
    Don't give up I have copd,diabetes,legs give way,chronic asthma,manic depression,osteoporosis,osteoarthritis,memory loss that's just some of the illnesses on my medical records
    None of which by themselves would give you a PIP award

• teresa52
    Options
    Also have brittle bones
  • teresa52
    Options
    And fall over all the time
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    It is difficult for two main reasons. Firstly they are trying to reduce the benefits costs and making things difficult so that people give up is one way. They can also remove your benefit immediately when you are assessed (unlike DLA) and you don't get it back until you have gone through the whole process, this can defer the benefit cost into the next financial year in some cases and hence appear to be a "saving".

Secondly, the emphasis of PIP is different to DLA. DLA was all about what you suffered from and little about how it affected you. PIP is all about how it affects you and little about what condition you have. I can understand why they have done this and it should result in lower benefit costs, which is their aim. Many conditions now can be diagnosed long before they disable the person suffering it (Multiple Sclerosis for example). The problem is that they are using unqualified staff to make assessments and they make many mistakes plus make complete misjudgements due to a lack of understanding. I know people have said that they outright lie but it is difficult to judge from outside as we do not see the documentation supplied nor the reactions in a f2f.

I must admit to being concerned about the amount of information some people say they supplied. Sending too much will mean that all of it gets ignored as the assessor simply does not have time to read it all.  I remember reading Curriculum Vitae's sent in from job applicants and some would send so much information that I simply discarded it in favour of more concise versions. It is difficult to assess someone when a lot on information is provided as the human brain just cannot keep all the salient points handy, for most people.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • miilreef
    miilreef Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear your PIP claim has been turned down.
    Do request a mandatory reconsideration, this is conducted by a claims handler with very little to no medical knowledge and is most often unsuccessful. If that should be the case then do fill in the form to request a tribunal. It can be completed online now.
    The process is daunting and the copy of the face to face report you receive before the tribunal can be demoralising. When you are able and can face it, make a few notes about how you think the report is incorrect and if you can link that to your medical evidence it will reassure you that you have a case.
    For each of the descriptors you have to be able to carry out activities reliably, safely and consistently for more than 50% of the time. If you can’t that’s what reinforces your case. It’s this, plus your supporting medical evidence that the Tribunal will take into account.
    If you have an advisory service near you then do seek help if you need it. Also ask your local council if they have a benefits advisor, they can be very helpful.
    Asking for a manadatory reconsideration is just a phone call to the DWP PIP helpline so don’t be put off starting the process.
    I wish you well.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.