Anxiety and depression — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anxiety and depression

Paddie
Paddie Community member Posts: 75 Courageous
edited September 2018 in Mental health and wellbeing
Sorry to post again.... I truly do Thank & appreciate everyone's advice esp Spiceman.
my antidepressant has been increased as from yesterday. I know they don't work overnight but I'm scared about the way I feel.
 My step Son, his wife & 2yr old grandson are arriving Thursday, for a long w'end & im totally dreading it. 
I don't want to be here at all...
This really isn't like me, apart from my health difficulties, I usually cope well.
but with this anxiety &
despression..... I'm off the radar with panic.....
Has anyone got that "Magic Wand" that's so often mentioned?!?!

Paddie

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Paddie, I am sorry to hear this. How are you feeling today? 
    You're right, medication doesn't help things overnight, but I hope it starts to make some improvements. If I find the magic wand I'll let you know :)
    If you are struggling and need someone to talk to then Samaritans are available 24/7. I also hope the community can continue to support you through this.
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Paddie How are you?  Been looking for you to see if your OK.

Please can I ask do they need to come to see you. Is this the anxiety and depression you are concerned as you would be.

Seeing you like this. I know the emotions and feelings all around it.  Had to share personal stuff with my best friend recently. Totally clue less.

If they do would that be a bad thing. Could help with any solutions and answers to your questions in your mind.

I have had this myself you do not wish to for them to know about everything. Fears and anxieties.

Lots of emotions may be sharing to them and asking for help and saying look I need some time to heal.  Write it down and in a quiet moment need to share do so.

You are naturally concerned about your state of mind. I was the first time I had to share personal stuff effecting me.

All medicine takes time and please continue but speak to your GP. I am as always here.

Please I hope you take care and reply back to me. If I have been helpful.

Hope that by speaking can alleviate some of the pain.

Anytime you wish to speak to me or others. Do not worry about speaking. That helps .  How many times . Does not matter.

Take care

My friend

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Paddie
    Thank you Spiceman.
    yes, this is the worst I've ever felt & lasting such a long time.
    i am known ( usually) as a strong, sensitive & loving person.
    I should be looking forward to my family visiting esp my grandson but I'm not.
    I am absolutely dreading it & wish I could be somewhere else..... just on my own.
    hence wanting to ask the Dr if he could put me in hospital.
    Although I know, due to Bed Crisis, that he probably will not.
    Thank you for being there....
    Bw
    paddie
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Paddie Thank you for reply.

My concern is that if you should tell you family. Please.

Understand this is difficult and stressful.  I have a lot of time and patience for all our members.

I know the antidepressants are the cause the symptoms you are having. I do think you need to speak some one.

Samaritans or MIND .

I understand you are finding all this difficult to cope with

I know as you have said you have these feelings and emotions.

Talk to some one about it. I do know as you have said this is not your fault. Nothing wrong in having the courage to speak up.

I know when I was ill first time felt ashamed, humiliated, embarrassments all the time to discuss in front of a medical professional how I was.

Is this the problem do you think?. I know it can be.

Had this before with my support. I am an old fashioned gent in my fifties had and do fears of stigma attached to mental health.

Yet have to be honest and open learnt that one. Because I would have lost the will to live and felt suicidal . So had to talk even if it a few words.

My support worker one end of the room me usually like yourself. Strong and feel for every body more concern for others than me.  In the end wanted to leave and said to me if you can not help yourself. I am going to the office.  

Reality set in and shook me up. In pain, hurting and need I have to share personal stuff my own history.

This time this you and I do have anxiety for you. Just been there so many times.

Hope I have been some comfort please if you can cope. I am not going to ask about your other issues we have discussed. Is that effecting you that is all I will say?

Then speak to some one with that support in mind.  I do know you can do this .  Please if you wish to contact the  number the SCOPE helpline for support. Just an idea. 

0808 800 3333 

Always in prayers and thoughts.  Always here to support, help and advise. Be a listening ear.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I suffer from anxiety and depression. My thoughts are with you. First of all how do you usually deal with your issues? Do you have help? Second of all, you are not alone many people have similar issues. It’s important that you find a way to let your family know  before they visit or ASAP as that’s the right thing to do. That’s going to remove some of the fear hopefully and then you can make a plan together. 
    Thirdly, you probably won’t get a hospital bed and hopefully you won’t need one as there is lots can be done to help you at home. I don’t want to suggest things you may already be doing so let us know what you have in place already and the community will offer help I am sure. Message me if you would like to talk more to me please. Best of luck 
  • Paddie
    Spiceman & Debbied409... Thank you soooooo much for taking the time & having compassion to write to me.
    I saw my GP today & no, he won't send me Into hospital.
    He said it would make me feel worse.
    I valued his honesty as he explained that he too, suffers from depression.
    He totally understood my stress & anxiety re visitors.
    He has put me on a very low dose of sedative, just to take the " edge off" my anxiety.
    My visitors  do know about my physical illness but not the depression.
     I honestly know, they would not understand.
    I'm very aware that my siblings will, maybe not understand, but will care.
    Spiceman..... fifties & old do not go together!
    we are still young!
    Also, re the "unmentioned" a plan is in place to sort that out..... Thank you for your reference to it.
    And PLEASE hold me in prayer ??.
    paddie
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Paddie   Good morning Thank you for kind words. 

Reading this morning your post.  You have done the right thing seeing your GP for consultation.

I would consider telling your visitors about the depression. Only you can decide that they and you might be surprised at their reactions. Have compassion, empathy and try to help, support you. Through troubled times.

First thing is about you and these emotions, feelings you have. When we because having these feelings. As I have been there so many times.

Become so detached and it is evident some times that you lose your concentration. Mind becomes foggy and not up to it.  Then there can be concern and an element of the risk to yourself..

That was my very much concern.  I do care about our members especially those who have had mental health issues. Depression and anxiety can be irritating, hell to live with.

All I can add that have the scars to prove it but also have the experience and knowledge to help me through this pain and misery I endue constantly.

Could be useful to find some support through local mental health charities. These are worth looking at. Understanding about you and how your mind, body works in relation to the meds your on .

Have a wealth of knowledge, expertise and are helpful in so many ways.

I know last mental health charity. All of the clientele were our ages.  Most were ladies of our age.  That could help finding some one similar to you to support each other.  Around that..  You can do this on line yourself or through the GP.

Your always in my prayers. Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • Markinsutton
    Markinsutton Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Hi @Paddie

speaking up is the hardest thing ever but it so important that the people around you know how you are feeling. Depression is so hidden away many people don't know what you are going through,. 

I do understand just how difficult it is to speak out from the fear of not being understood or believed  etc. My experience of speaking out has always been a mixed bag of responses to be honest but those who do get it are the  ones I want to be friends and those who belittle it are normally the ones who I don't want in my life anyway. 

I have been surprised of some people who I didn't know where in the same boat and have been great as they will message me when I am quiet and if I say I want to be left alone they have understood that also.   

It's why I like coming on here. I don't always reply but do read many posts and when some connect with me I try and reply to lend a friendly ear to listen too. 

hope all goes ok and keep in touch. 

@Markinsutton

• Paddie
    Thank you Markinsutton.... means a lot to hear that..,, " invisible" illnesses are difficult to explain.
    with depression & anxiety we tend to hide behind a smile..... when we are actually crying inside.....
    paddie
  • Paddie
    Thank thank you so much Spiceman.
    I can tell you are speaking from experience & I'm so sorry that you (& others) have or are going through this horrible dark tunnel of life.
    But we are survivors & have the scars to prove it whether visible scars or internal.
    look how strong we can all be.
    its so difficult, when your going through it, to think positive..... but you certainly sound so strong & wise!
    graduating from the "University of Life" is the the best qualification EVER!
    Thank you so much for being there for me & many others.
    You are an inspiration
    Paddie
  • thespiceman
    Hello @paddie thank you very much again, just let you know I am here as all of us to help, advice be a friend and hope we can answer anything you not sure of.

One point I do apologise for this but by talking to a mental health charity.  Can be beneficial to your well being because they and you will be in contact with others who are similar.

I joined many of these and always be surprised stuff and health issues I do not know and use the knowledge .  Lot of my posts on this forum. Happy and glad to help. That is what the community is for.

I have learnt to help and ease the symptoms and been not aided by this heartbreak of anxiety and depression. Have to admit that I can work with it and use the tools I have learn from them.

Some organisations bring people in from outside agencies like addiction centres. Not there to pry but help and give useful information. Can refer if help is needed.

Add to that well being and health looked at, meds sleep anything like that . Volunteering bureaus and some employment opportunities are often explored and looked at.

Also what does help for me and probably for you as well is the benefits and all that is complex and confusing.  Help with forms and attend assessments.

Wish you the best my friend we all here to listen anytime.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness