Retired and on PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Retired and on PIP

polecat
polecat Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Im 65 retired and on high pip for both parts, this is to end in 2020, now on the DLA system I was on that for life, then I was asked to go onto pip, now to my question will I be reassessed or will I continue as I would have on the DLA?
as on the old system if you were still on DLA when you retired it would continue till you expired,
even if you only had a year to go on your entitlement, have asked DWP depends on who you speak to there are differing answers many don’t know at all, now tbh this is important to me as I would not be able to get out of the house.
any ideas please?

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @polecat   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining, thank you for sharing.

I am unsure of an answer to your question.  Some one from our team or community may advise.

Have a look at our benefit advice information.

Have you spoken to CAB. Consider talking to them about benefit enquiries. Lots of expertise and knowledge.

Understand the difficulties you are experiencing .  We are a supportive friendly community. Please ask if we can advise on anything.

Hope that helps.

Take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @polecat and welcome to the community! Thank you for taking the time to be in touch with us about this! Now you are on PIP you will be reassessed when the award runs out, despite things being different on DLA. If you need any support with this then please do not hesitate to be in touch :)
    Scope

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

DLA was different to PIP.  With PIP you'll continue to be re-assessed regardless of your age. Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    polecat said:
    Im 65 retired and on high pip for both parts, this is to end in 2020, now on the DLA system I was on that for life, then I was asked to go onto pip, now to my question will I be reassessed or will I continue as I would have on the DLA?
    as on the old system if you were still on DLA when you retired it would continue till you expired,
    even if you only had a year to go on your entitlement, have asked DWP depends on who you speak to there are differing answers many don’t know at all, now tbh this is important to me as I would not be able to get out of the house.
    any ideas please?
    You will be re-assessed sometime next year. If you get enough points you will get another award. Provided that you fit enough descriptors and gain at least 8 points you will be re-assessed for the rest of your natural life.
    As a warning if you lose the enhanced mobility part at any of the future re-assessments and don't manage to get it awarded by MR or appeal,, you will lose the right to claim that part for ever.
    I had 3 of these re-assessments in the past 5 years (70) and in each one they decided I had no issues or disabilities. 

Good luck
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    You should get advice from cab or welfare rights. You can keep a diary of how your issues affect you on a daily basis and gather evidence in advance so that you have it all ready. 
  • janesandra
    janesandra Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    This IS NOT GOOD AFTER 26 YEARS I ALSO HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GOING ON TO PIP  I HAD BEEN THROUGH ALL MEDICALS  AND WAS DEEMED   UNFIT FOR  AFTER WORKING MOST OF MY LIFE I WAS UNFIT NOW AT THE TIME OF LIFE WE SHOULD NOT BE WORRYING ABOUT THING LIKE THIS ITS WRONG I MISSED THE CUT OFF POINT BY MONTHS I WOULD NOT OFf HAD TO WORRY IF MY BIRTHDAY WAS A FEW MONTHS EARLIER VERY WORRYING AT OUR AGE  ITS B NOT AS IF WE ARE WORKING AGE NOW 

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    This IS NOT GOOD AFTER 26 YEARS I ALSO HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GOING ON TO PIP  I HAD BEEN THROUGH ALL MEDICALS  AND WAS DEEMED   UNFIT FOR  AFTER WORKING MOST OF MY LIFE I WAS UNFIT NOW AT THE TIME OF LIFE WE SHOULD NOT BE WORRYING ABOUT THING LIKE THIS ITS WRONG I MISSED THE CUT OFF POINT BY MONTHS I WOULD NOT OFf HAD TO WORRY IF MY BIRTHDAY WAS A FEW MONTHS EARLIER VERY WORRYING AT OUR AGE  ITS B NOT AS IF WE ARE WORKING AGE NOW 

Welcome to my club! At 70 I gave up with the whole damn thing - it was too stressful
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @polecat

Does your award letter say that your PIP award ends in 2020? If so, unfortunately, you will be reassessed a year before your award is due to end.

If you receive PIP pre age 65 then you keep PIP post age 65 - subject to reassessment.
  • janesandra
    STILL WAITING REPLY X 
  • poppy123456
    STILL WAITING REPLY X 
    A reply for what? Can you give some more information then someone will be able to help you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2019
    Hello @janesandra Pleased to meet you .  I am one of the team of community champions. We advise, inform and help new members of the forum.

As well being responsible for making sure every one on the forum is safe and secure. According to the forums rules and guide.

Sorry you not got a reply. Please if  ask what we as a community advise on. How can we help ?

Please use as I have done with your name. This will help others reply to your post.  Make a discussion your self set one up and others will reply to you.

Please refrain from using capital letters sorry to tell you this . That is deemed shouting at community members.

Reason you probably will not get a reply.

I know we as a community are here to help you and give you support.

We are friendly.  Please may I add we do understand what you have been through. Many members have had similar stories. I am one.

Have a look at our Community guide and Community house rules.

Hope that helps.

Please take care.

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • janesandra
    I am sorry iIused capitals but my eyes are also very bad my grandson is putting this in for me I dont want to be our seem to be rude but can;t see to well on the computer

• poppy123456
    I am sorry iIused capitals but my eyes are also very bad my grandson is putting this in for me I dont want to be our seem to be rude but can;t see to well on the computer

No worries. Do you have a question you would like to ask? What are you waiting for a reply for?
  • janesandra
    I HAVE HAD MY REPORT FROM THE ASSESSMENT REPORT AND IT WORKS OUT I HAVE 18 POINTS FORM MY ASSESSMENT DOES THAT MEAN THAT I SHOULD GET THROUGH I STILL HAVENT HEARD YET AND MY ASSESSMENT WAS ON 11TH NOVEMBER PLEASE ADVISE SORRY BUT I CANT WRITE MY EYES ARE SO BAD SO NEED TO BE ABLE TO SEE WHAT I WRITE PLEASE ACCEPTED MY APOLOGY FOR CAPITALS 
  • poppy123456
    edited January 2019
    There's 2 parts to PIP, daily living and mobility and the points are separate for each. You need to re-add the points to see what's score for daily living and mobility separately.

Mostly they go with the report, it's rare to go against it but you'll need to wait for the decision.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.