Hi, my name is hudson35! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is hudson35!

hudson35
hudson35 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
IveI had sick notes in for the last 3 months I'm on universal credit my work coach says i still need to do jobsearch but not to apply for any with me being sick? What's the deal 

Comments

• welshbirdne
    welshbirdne Community member Posts: 24 Listener
    It's all computerised and unfortunatley you have to do as they say otherwise they will stop your money
  • welshbirdne
    what's your condition, by the way
  • hudson35
    Copd lung disease and sciatica and b12 deficiency 
  • welshbirdne
    It takes a while to get on long term sick. COPD is life threatening you just need to do what they ask unfortunatley

• angel137
    angel137 Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    Hi @hudson35
    Sorry to hear you are having problems.
    Is your illness expected to be short term or long term? Indefinite? 
    If you are supplying fit  notes, there's no reason why you should be made to look for a job, but, unfortunately, I don't think this is unusual. People in the WRAG group of ESA have to prepare for work, although they are not capable of it at that time. They are expected to be capable of work in the near future so have to prepare for it with interviews with their work coach.
    Is the fit note for 30 days? Three months? 
    It sounds like they want to keep you on the books as "looking for work".  If you are too unwell to do this, you should tell them so.

I was placed in the WRAG ESA group once, (I was appealing it) and had a work advisor. I wasn't well enough to go to the interviews. In the end, I did them over the phone, until I got placed in the support group. 

Are you receiving other benefits? 
  • hudson35
    Copd is for life, I can't breathe any where i go I'm juju receiving universal credit I have been getting sick notes monthly 
  • angel137
    hudson35

I wonder at what point you are able to get a much longer term sickness benefit? COPD is a serious condition. I don't know why you're only getting monthly sick notes-could they not be extended? 
    You could speak to a welfare rights worker or similar. Also, other online services like:
    www.benefitsandwork.co.uk 
    There are others. :)
  • hudson35
    I do not know nobody has told me anything? 
  • angel137
    Perhaps you could look into that so you know when you can get longer term "fit notes".
    It has been quite a while since I needed to do that and of course, the rules have changed over the years, so I don't know what length of time is required now. 
    I would look into it @hudson35
    Did you have to stop working recently?  Do you receive ESA? 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @hudson35 Pleased to meet you.

You have been given some good advice here from members.  I know I am in the support group ESA.

My situation is continuous declared fit and then unfit in a space of eighteen months .  Then fit then unfit all the time round around it went. For about twenty years plus.

Kept messing me about.

I was in WRAG.  Felt like you did. Had to apply for sick notes and still sign on.  Look for work do all the things you are doing. Had over ten members of staff in period of three months.

Who were signing on advisors and in the end had to admit . Had been passed from pillar to post. All in my opinion unnecessary.

Then told to am with a training company called Igeus.  

Confused and belittled am a gent in my early fifties. Clueless tired exhausted from all the hassle.

Had a question for the Jobcentre plus staff. Would not answer because in their eyes belonged to this training company.

Lost it one Monday. Had enough and spoke to my support worker.

We made an appointment with the one of the advisors. We made a new claim on ESA. Had new evidence. 

My mental health deteriorating.  Went to the Doctors go relevant sick notes and contacted ESA. So that is what happened to me.

Had a new claim, evidence. New assessment and my support went with me. To the assessment.

Got told the assessor my health history. Put back into support group.

Which I should have been twenty years ago plus. Ago so my friend my advice if you can speak to some one in welfare or CAB  about this because it is pointless.

You looking for work with a condition like you have. My heart goes out to you.

Here is the final point. This training company at the time had loads of people like me. In there fifties early sixties and did not know what to do with any of them.

Many have serious illness and know can not work but are trapped like you are.  Not knowing what to do.  Worse jobcentre staff know this but are reluctant to help.  Because my support worker had to step in and said her piece.

The advisor who I had met several times. This he knew could see I was not responsive to their demands. Could see I was not good. Yet he was reluctant to admit this at the meeting.

That was after two times with different support staff.  From my mental health charity. I had at the time.

Hope that helps.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • hudson35
    You said some valid things there don't get disheartened im 40 but apparently i have the lungs ov a 61yr old but hey **** happens 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @hudson35 Thanks very much for the kind words. What irks and annoys me is that spent nearly a lifetime trying to get some where.

With loads of qualifications, experience and  still subjected by the employment service as unwanted.

Got to the stage then.  You need this IT qualification or this Business Admin qualification or others.  Being doing them for years to improve myself.

Even a business does not count for anything these days.

Add to that used my health issues as way in I thought jobs. Have addiction history plus mental health. Sorted out the addiction. Mental health still here and my disability.

Got loads of food related, well being qualifications. After all that still either too old. Was 50 last qualification and even then not wanted by the health profession.

Got a good CV. Yet like you say **** happens.

Why am on here most days. Using my talents and skills to help all you lovely new members and anybody else to be welcomed. Any advice and be a good support, maybe a friend.

Helps you know being on here. Made a loads of friends we all support each other.

My thoughts right now are with you. I hope I have given you any positive feedback and what you need to do.

Always here to listen. Anytime you wish to.

Pleasure to help

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes

Brightness