How to get a blue badge? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to get a blue badge?

julia123
julia123 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2018 in Transport and travel
My  daughter  driveswear me how can I get a badge  to park closer plz

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Ask your local authority.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @julia123, if you or your daughter is in reseipt of PIP either rate of mobility you will can get a blue badge by default. Other wise you or your daughter who ever is making the claim may and most likely will have to be accessed to see if you meet thr criteria.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
  • dignifieddoll
    dignifieddoll Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    Hi there i have 2  questions if anyone can help please firstly due to recent change from DLA to PIP am i still entitled to use my blue badge for mobilty reasons i have been awarded standard rate for both by the way .secondly what happens to the disabled tax exemption i have for the vehicle at the moment is there anyhelp i could get to pay for road tax .after my PIP starts please 
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited September 2018
    Hi there i have 2  questions if anyone can help please firstly due to recent change from DLA to PIP am i still entitled to use my blue badge for mobilty reasons i have been awarded standard rate for both by the way .secondly what happens to the disabled tax exemption i have for the vehicle at the moment is there anyhelp i could get to pay for road tax .after my PIP starts please 

@dignifieddoll as you've just moved over to PIP? To satisfy getting the above ie Blue Badge. Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your assessment - check your decision letter if you’re not sure, otherwise you will have to apply a your council for a new one.

Bt if you recieve this you will be ok 
    • receive 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
    2nd answer to your question. Re car tax.

If you get high rate mobility you will qualify for full tax exemption otherwise you will need to satisfy this here for 50% discount.

To claim the 50% reduction the vehicle must be :
    • Registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.
    • It must be only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. That means the vehicle can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

You can only have one vehicle tax exemption or reduction at any one time.

You can apply for the 50% reduction  if you get the:

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• dignifieddoll
    Thank you as i did say i now been awarded the standard rate for mobility and daily living needs .so i should ring the DWP and enquire about the 50%reduction yes ?
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Thank you as i did say i now been awarded the standard rate for mobility and daily living needs .so i should ring the DWP and enquire about the 50%reduction yes ?
    @dignifieddoll just follow the information here to get the 50% Tax discount.

To claim the 50% reduction the vehicle must be :
    • Registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.
    • It must be only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. That means the vehicle can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

You can only have one vehicle tax exemption or reduction at any one time.

You can apply for the 50% reduction  if you get the:

HOW TO CLAIM

If you are entitled to the 50% discount, then you can ONLY obtain this by sending the appropriate paperwork to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DZ

You must include the following with your application:

• An official letter or statement from the DWP confirming that you are in receipt of an award, the dates of the award, name and address

Please do not send the DVLA any of the personal medical information contained in the             letter.

• the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)
    • V10 form
    • an original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
    • a cheque or payable order (made out to ‘DVLA, Swansea’) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle

Don’t include a copy of your PIP adjudication with your application.

If you’ve just bought the vehicle and it’s not registered in your name yet, you’ll need to download and complete a V62 form and include the V5C/2 new keeper supplement with your application.

Vehicles that receive the 50% reduction are in the standard taxation class for that vehicle. They will not be in the Disabled tax class like vehicles that receive the 100% exemption.

GENERAL INFORMATION

Contact the DVLA by:

To find the address of your local DVLA office:

To find the address of your nearest Post Office that issues vehicle tax

• Go to the website www.postoffice.co.uk, or
    • Phone 08457 223344 or
    • Write to: DLA Unit, Warbeck House, Warbeck Hill, Blackpool, FY2 0YE
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• dignifieddoll
    Thank you for you help 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    There's 2 descriptors for mobility part of PIP, following and planning a journey and moving around. You need to check your award because scoring the points in following and planning a journey doesn't qualify you automatically for the blue badge, only the moving around part will.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dignifieddoll
    Thank you for that info although i dont drive my husband does  i couldnt understand why i would need to plan a route  or follow a journey   i get anxious if i dont know a familiar route or where im going .
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    If you're the disabled person then the car you're taxing with the 50% discount can only be used for your purposes. Your husband will not be able to use it for his purposes, this includes disabled tax when it's 100% free. See link for confirmation.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • dignifieddoll
    Thank you for your advice but he does only use car when im with him  we are always together anyway many thanks 

Brightness