Hi, my name is Andronian1976! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Andronian1976!

Options
Andronian1976
Andronian1976 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello folks.  New to the forum and relatively new to the world of “despite having the same condition since birth.   I have OI (oesteogenisis Imperfecta) and despite the many fractures I had in my youth I had a relatively normal life until my mid thirties when arthritic problems, pain from past injury, complications from surgery, fatigue and mental issues made it impossible to continue work and have been reliant and core from my wife since.  I find I’m in my wheelchair most of the time.  

Im jusut about to get a nice lightweight rigid frame chair with a batec which will give me greater independence I hope.  This equipment is only possible due to the Brittle Bone Society and the hard work they put in gaining funding for the equipment.

as I mentioned I gave up work which for me was manager of a pawn brokers.  ive went from a reasonable wage to living on benefits and the stress and hardship that brings a family.  At the point where I knew something had to give I was having suicidal thoughts and got to a point where I was planning how to end things but for it to be an accident so insurance would definitely pay out.   I realised in time that it’s wasnt the answer and got some help.  

Im very lucky to have a supportive wife although I carry a lot of guilt that my son doesn’t get the Dad he deserves who can do more with him.  Pain and fatigue on my part often scupper plans we have.  

Anyway, I look forward to contributing on discussion on the group 

Comments

• dody
    dody Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to a great place (only just found it myself), five in, I'm sure you'll find some very helpful material, suggestions and people. Plus support from like people. Take care, and good luck with the new chair.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andronian1976
    Welcome to the community! You may not think it but you are incredibly strong! Along with may members of the community, I completely understand feeling guilty. My fiancé and my mum care for me when I am home, but I've learnt to appreciate every little thing they do for me. They help me to have a normal life as much as possible. We are all here for you. Please let us know how you get on with :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Andronian1976 and a warm welcome to the community. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all. I hope the lightweight chair improves your quality of life and allows you to do more things- please do keep us updated! If you are ever feeling low then please do reach out to your GP or Samaritans for support. I look forward to seeing you around :)
    Scope

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Andronian1976 :)

Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness