benefits advice — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

benefits advice

Rebel70
Rebel70 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi there  Just after some advice. I claim SG ESA and have just claimed the standard rate for both parts of pip  I'm also awaiting to hear if I can get Severe Disability Allowance as I live alone. I have to pay bedroom tax on my spare room but otherwise my rent is paid  Does claiming PIP change this? Will they inform me or do I need to contact the council? Will claiming SDA alter anything with the housing benefit too? If seems they give you in one hand and take away with the other. I informed ESA when I got Pip but forgot about the council. Sadly I get fog brain with fibromyalgia  Any help would be gratefully received  Thanks. 

Tracy

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Rebel70   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for joining and your question.

I am unsure of an answer. I am sure there will be members of our community or a member of our team to advise.

Benefits are complex and confusing.

We are a supportive community. Friendly, care and share.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You PIP award won't change your bedroom tax payment, unfortunately. If you rent from social housing and you have a spare bedroom then you're liable for the bedroom tax. If your SDP (not SDA) claim is successful then this won't change your housing benefit award.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Rebel70
    I have asked @BenefitsTrainingCo to take a look at your question to see if they can help :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello @Rebel70

As Poppy has already said your PIP award will not affect the bedroom tax in your housing benefit. But if you've been awarded PIP daily living component, you live alone and nobody gets carers allowance in respect of you then you should qualify for the severe disability premium within your benefits. Assuming that you are getting at least some income related ESA then you will be passported to a maximum award of housing benefit. This means your ESA should go up by the value of the severe disability premium but as your housing benefit is already at the maximum it cannot go up any more and will stay the same.

I would expect your total ESA to be £127.15 per week before the severe disability premium is included, and £191.45 per week after the severe disability premium has been included. This is certainly worth checking as the DWP sometimes makes mistakes with this.

Kind regards
    David
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Rebel70
    Hi David

Thank you for your help. I no I will have to pay bedroom tax but wanted to know if I would have had to pay anymore rent ontop. You have put my mind at rest. I hate to do things wrong that could be classed as fraud  

Many thanks. That was really helpful  

Best regards 

Tracy
  • Rebel70
    I would like to thank everyone who messaged me. So many of us in the same boat yet don't know how the system really works anymore  My next hurdle is whether I've passed my assignment or I will have to sign on whilst I appeal. So contradictory as I'm claiming I'm unable to work  Complete madness  I wish all of you who are going for assessment or awaiting results all the best. 

Tracy

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.